Weird characters at beginning of cell

  1. #1

    Weird characters at beginning of cell

    Hello All,

    Some of the cells of a workbook contain either an apostrophe or a comma on the left but do not appear in the formula bar. I have tried to get rid of them by changing the style, format or template but they keep on showing up.
    Any idea how to delete these weird characters ?

    Many thanks in advance,

    Joe

  2. #2

    Re: Weird characters at beginning of cell

    If they're apostrophes, maybe they're there to tell excel to treat the value as
    text.

    You may be able to hide them by:
    tools|options|transition tab|uncheck Transition navigation keys.

    These can be very useful if you want to enter 7-18 and not want excel to change
    it to a date. (Using '7-18 (or preformatting the cell as text) will stop excel
    from seeing that entry as a date.)

  3. #3

    Weird characters in cells

    Thanks for your reply Dave. Unfortunately, the transition keys were already deselected.

    Even if there are no data present in the cells, the commas or apostrophes still appear. The only way I found to get rid of them is to physically delete the cells. Any clue ? - I have attached a copy of the workbook

  4. #4

    Re: Weird characters at beginning of cell

    First, I don't see the attachment. I don't read the newsgroups through
    excelforum.

    Second, try this:
    =len(a1)
    change a1 to point at a cell with only that apostrophe.

    If you see 0, you can try this:

    Select the range to fix
    edit|Replace
    what: (leave blank)
    with: $$$$$
    replace all

    Then with that range still selected
    edit|Replace
    what: $$$$$
    with: (leave blank)
    replace all

    All the cells with a single apostrophe should be cleared.