How do I turn off MS mouse wheel scroll?

  1. #1
    MrBill
    Guest

    How do I turn off MS mouse wheel scroll?

    I have Office 2003 and a MS Mouse using Intellipoint software. I've
    turned off the scroll wheel in the control panel, but it continues to
    work in Excel . . . how do I turn it off everywhere?

    Thanks, Bill

  2. #2
    MartinW
    Guest

    Re: How do I turn off MS mouse wheel scroll?

    Hi Bill,

    If you are talking about having the wheel scroll instead of
    zooming, goto Tools>Options>General and uncheck
    'zoom on roll with intellimouse'

    AFAIK I don't think you can stop it scrolling.
    Out of interests sake why would you want to?

    Regards
    Martin

  3. #3
    MrBill
    Guest

    Re: How do I turn off MS mouse wheel scroll?

    Hello Martin,

    That box was already unchecked. I think you're right in that I won't
    be able to keep the wheel from scrolling in Excel. The reason I don't
    want the wheel scroll is because on my mouse the wheel is VERY
    sensitive. Sometime when clicking a button I will accidentally touch
    the wheel, and WHAM, I'm 20 lines or so from where I want to be. Since
    I generally scroll with the scroll bar at the right of the window, it
    would be great if I could simply turn off the wheel scroll!

    - Bill

  4. #4
    MartinW
    Guest

    Re: How do I turn off MS mouse wheel scroll?

    Hi Bill,

    One last try. If you go to control panel>mouse>wheel. How many
    lines are set under 'Roll the wheel one notch to scroll'.
    I set it to 1.

    HTH
    Martin

  5. #5
    cschiller1
    Guest

    Re: How do I turn off MS mouse wheel scroll?

    Um --- get a cheap mouse without the scroll wheel?

    Craig

  6. #6
    MrBill
    Guest

    Re: How do I turn off MS mouse wheel scroll?

    This was turned off, I've turned it on and set it for slow (there is
    no setting like you mentioned below". This did slow the scroll down
    in Excel, so I'll try this for awhile and see how it goes.

    Thanks, Bill

  7. #7
    MrBill
    Guest

    Re: How do I turn off MS mouse wheel scroll?

    I thought about that, but I've been using the wheel press as a double
    click and like this a LOT!

    - Bill

  8. #8
    Forum Contributor
    then buy a non-cheap three-wheel mouse! or crazy glue the scroll wheel so you can press it but it won't spin. that sounds like a fun project.

    I agree that the third button press is wonderful, especially in a tabbed web browser. The scroll is also a fabulous feature and if you're unable to use it propelry with your mouse it might be worth investing in a new mouse.

    I was looking for a default mouse driver that didn't have a scroll/third button and couldn't find one in the default drivers. Doesn't sound like that's what you'd want if you use it as a button though.

  9. #9
    cschiller1
    Guest

    Re: How do I turn off MS mouse wheel scroll?

    Well, you know what the Stones say... You can't always get what you want...

    Craig