Long File Names

  1. #1

    Long File Names

    I have an unusual problem in that one user creates an excel document with a long file name (no longer than 50 chars that i've seen) but when another user tries to open the spreadsheets they get the message that the file name is to long. Both users are on the same version and service pack.

    Any ideas would be very welcome.

    Thanks

    Andy Davis

  2. #2
    Forum Expert
    London, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2019
    Posts
    7,064
    What are the filenames?

    You say the first user creates the document can the first user open the document succesfully or are both users unable to open the document?
    Regards
    Special-K

    Ensure you describe your problem clearly, I have little time available to solve these problems and do not appreciate numerous changes to them.

  3. #3
    Bill Sharpe
    Guest

    Re: Long File Names

    CitC_Andy wrote:
    > I have an unusual problem in that one user creates an excel document
    > with a long file name (no longer than 50 chars that i've seen) but when
    > another user tries to open the spreadsheets they get the message that
    > the file name is to long. Both users are on the same version and
    > service pack.
    >
    > Any ideas would be very welcome.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Andy Davis

    The file name is probably not the problem; the full path name, though,
    may be too long for the second user, depending on how the second user
    has set up access to the file.

    Is it really that difficult to create a fairly short file name, maybe 20
    characters instead of 50, for the spreadsheet in question?

    Bill