How do you search for broken Excel links on a server? (#REF!)

  1. #1
    BamaCT
    Guest

    How do you search for broken Excel links on a server? (#REF!)

    I am consolidating servers and want to be able to identify any broken links
    in Excel by searching for #REF! in the broken formula. Is there a way to
    search for this in Excel files without purchasing third party software?

  2. #2

    Re: How do you search for broken Excel links on a server? (#REF!)

    You could write your own code to search through lots of stuff or ...

    You may want to get Jan Karel Pieterse's (with Charles Williams and Matthew
    Henson) Name Manager:

    You can find it at:
    NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp

    There's an option to look for only the links with errors.

  3. #3
    BamaCT
    Guest

    Re: How do you search for broken Excel links on a server? (#REF!)

    It appears this will only work for "active" workbooks. I need to be able to
    scan hundreds of files located on shared drives. Unfortunately, opening one
    at a time is not an option.