Custom Autofilter yields no results

  1. #1
    rjejyork
    Guest

    Custom Autofilter yields no results

    I have a worksheet, where I am trying to do a custom autofilter using the
    "ends with" criteria. I've had success in another worksheet with this, but
    everytime I do it in the new one it does not yield any results. i've made
    sure the cell formatting is correct. Any thoughts or suggestions why this
    isnt working

  2. #2
    Dennis
    Guest

    Re: Custom Autofilter yields no results

    Check your AutoFilter Range.

    Unapply the AutoFilter
    "Paint the Range" then Re-apply the AutoFilter

    If there are Blank cells on the Criteria range AutoFilter may guess
    wrong as to your desired range

    HTH

    Dennis

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Custom Autofilter yields no results

    Cell formatting should have no effect on the "ends with" criterion.

    Formatting does not change the actual content of a cell, just the appearance of
    the content.

    Are you sure you have the entire range selected?

    Do you have a typo in the "ends with" dialog?

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  4. #4
    rjejyork
    Guest

    Re: Custom Autofilter yields no results

    Why would it matter if the value of the cell in which I am trying to use the
    "ends with" criteria, are all numbers. None of the suggestions worked that
    you both stated. As a test, I took a small sampling of my spreadsheet, added
    a letter value to the beginning of each number value and now the "ends with"
    works.

    How can I get this to work without having to add a letter to each cell value
    just because it is all numbers? Help?

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Custom Autofilter yields no results

    Excel does not recognize numerics as "ending with".

    That is reserved for text cells.

    If you pre-format the cells as text before entering the numbers, the numbers
    will act like text.

    Since you have your numbers already in place, you have to append a letter or
    apostrophe to the beginning of each cell.

    Is there any other criterion you could use rather than "ends with"?

    Maybe greater than or somesuch?

    If not, here is a macro to add an apostrophe or any text in every cell in your
    selected range.

    Note: after running, you will not be able to calculate those cells.

    Sub Add_Text_Left()
    Dim cell As Range
    Dim moretext As String
    Dim thisrng As Range
    On Error GoTo endit
    Set thisrng = Range(ActiveCell.Address & "," & Selection.Address)
    moretext = InputBox("Enter your Text")
    For Each cell In thisrng
    cell.Value = moretext & cell.Value
    Next
    Exit Sub
    endit:
    End Sub

    Gord

    On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 12:08:01 -0700, rjejyork
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Why would it matter if the value of the cell in which I am trying to use the
    >"ends with" criteria, are all numbers. None of the suggestions worked that
    >you both stated. As a test, I took a small sampling of my spreadsheet, added
    >a letter value to the beginning of each number value and now the "ends with"
    >works.
    >
    >How can I get this to work without having to add a letter to each cell value
    >just because it is all numbers? Help?
    >
    >"Gord Dibben" wrote:
    >
    >> Cell formatting should have no effect on the "ends with" criterion.
    >>
    >> Formatting does not change the actual content of a cell, just the appearance of
    >> the content.
    >>
    >> Are you sure you have the entire range selected?
    >>
    >> Do you have a typo in the "ends with" dialog?
    >>

    >> Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
    >>
    >> On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 10:40:02 -0700, rjejyork
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I have a worksheet, where I am trying to do a custom autofilter using the
    >> >"ends with" criteria. I've had success in another worksheet with this, but
    >> >everytime I do it in the new one it does not yield any results. i've made
    >> >sure the cell formatting is correct. Any thoughts or suggestions why this
    >> >isnt working

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP