Files opening at start-up

  1. #1

    Files opening at start-up

    I just got a new computer and was setting up defaults in Excel, and I
    mistakenly entered 'My Documents' in the Tools/Options/General field
    for "At startup, open all files in." So when I start Excel it tries to
    open EVERY file in My Domuments and I have to use Task Manager to kill
    it. I opened in Safe Mode to change that option, but that doesn't seem
    to work. (Ie, when I open Excel again in regular mode it goes back to
    opening every file.)

    Is there another way to fix this? THanks!

    Andrew

  2. #2

    Re: Files opening at start-up

    Can you use Windows Explorer to rename that "my Documents" folder, then start
    excel, change the setting, then rename the folder back to its real name.

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    or just temporarily move the stuff in my documents, open excel, change it, then move the files back

    it doesn't open subdirectories, so you only need to move stuff in the root my documents directory

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Peterson

  4. #4

    Re: Files opening at start-up

    I think that would work with any other folder name, but it wouldn't let
    me do that with My Documents; I guess it's such a prominent thing that
    they don't let you monkey with it. Thanks, though - I appreciate the
    help.

  5. #5
    Beege
    Guest

    Re: Files opening at start-up

    From the windows "Run" type

    excel.exe /automation

    Then: Tools/options/ fix entry...

    Beege

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6

    Re: Files opening at start-up

    That's what I was afraid of.

    This is a setting kept in the registry.

    If you're comfortable changing the registry...

    Windows start button|Run|Regedit

    Traverse to:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Excel\Options
    under: AltStartup

    And delete that key.

    (11.0 means xl2003, 10.0 means xl2002, etc)

    But be careful. Since you're working in the registry, you may want to back
    it up before you do any changes. (You don't get a confirmation prompt when
    you make changes here!)

  7. #7

    Re: Files opening at start-up

    Thanks, everyone! Beege's fix took care of it and I'm back in business.

    Best,

    Andrew

  8. #8
    Beege
    Guest

    Re: Files opening at start-up

    Thanks for the feedback, Andrew, glad to have been helpful.