cell format refuses to be changed

  1. #1
    Alyssa
    Guest

    cell format refuses to be changed

    No matter what I do to change a cell's formatting, including 'special'
    pasting a 'normal' cell over it to coerce it into becoming a 'number' cell
    again, the cell simply refuses to respond to ANY formatting changes
    whatsoever. I am losing my mind. Can anyone please help?

  2. #2
    Forum Expert mrice's Avatar
    Surrey, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2013
    Posts
    4,967

    Response

    Is the worksheet protected?

    Have you tried deleting the cell and then shifting the other affected cells back to their original positions?
    Martin

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: cell format refuses to be changed

    Alyssa,

    Pl stay within your original post. I've just posted a further response to
    you there:

    "From your responses given to Peo and Gord, perhaps the entire sheet may have
    been formatted as text. Try selecting the entire sheet, then click Format >
    Cells > General > OK. Then try again the original suggestions given. Note
    that you need to re-confirm the formulas suggested (eg click inside the
    formula bar, then press ENTER) before the formulas will work. Merely
    re-formatting the sheet to General (from Text) will not fire the formulas."
    --
    Max
    Singapore

  4. #4
    Max

    "mrice" wrote:
    > Is the worksheet protected?

    Just wondering .. but if it is protected,
    won't the Format > Cells option appear grayed out (diabled)
    (this wasn't mentioned by the OP here)

    For info, here's Alyssa's earlier original posting / thread
    with the many responses thus far:
    http://tinyurl.com/fwf34

  5. #5
    Alyssa
    Guest

    Re: cell format refuses to be changed

    Yes I tried that but it still doesnt change. When I go to the formatting menu
    it shows that the cell has a general format and I change it to currency and
    hit enter but it still sits on the left hand of the sell and it is not
    currency.

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    Auckland New Zealand
    MS-Off Ver
    Office Professional 2007
    It won't change until you edit the value in the cell, after formatting the cell as currency. Edit the cell (F2 or double click, then press Enter, and should then read as currency.