HOW? Find and display the last cell in a column with a value > 0

  1. #1
    Conker10382
    Guest

    HOW? Find and display the last cell in a column with a value > 0

    I want to create a formula in a cell that will make that cell display the
    value of the last cell in a column with a value greater than 0.
    i.e.:
    A B C D E
    1 500 <----
    2
    3 17
    4 75
    5 500 <----

  2. #2
    PMPLookingForToBe
    Guest

    RE: HOW? Find and display the last cell in a column with a value > 0

    Conker10382:

    I'm not clear about your doubt. Do you mean that the 500 value is the
    maximum in the range c1:c4?

    Or, maybe the 500 value is on the first row of the range?

    Please, could you please be more explicit?

    --
    Gaspar
    PM --Adopting methodology--

  3. #3
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: HOW? Find and display the last cell in a column with a value > 0

    Hi!

    Try one of these:

    If the range will ONLY CONTAIN NUMBERS (empty cells are ok) and no TEXT
    including formula blanks:

    =LOOKUP(2,1/(C2:C25>0),C2:C25)

    Or, if there might be TEXT entries, entered as an array using the key
    combination of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:

    =INDEX(C2:C25,MAX(IF((ISNUMBER(C2:C25))*(C2:C25>0),ROW(C2:C25)-ROW(C2)+1)))

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Conker10382
    Guest

    RE: HOW? Find and display the last cell in a column with a value >

    Sorry, I know my example leaves a bit to be desired, LOL. It's sort of hard
    to explain, maybe this will help.

    I am trying to create a spreadsheet that will keep a running total in a
    colum. Each time the total is added to or subtracted from, the new total is
    placed below the old total. I want the topmost cell in the column to display
    the grand total (the last cell in the column greater than zero. See if this
    example helps a bit more:
    A B C
    1 add/Sub Total
    2 50 <---

    3 100
    4 -50 50 <---
    If the total is changed, it then becomes:
    A B C
    1 add/Sub Total
    2 40 <----

    3 100
    4 -50 50
    5 -10 40 <----
    6
    Is that easier to understand? Each time the total is added to or subtracted
    from, the new grand total should show at the topmost cell. I'm pretty sure
    there is a formula that will search the entire colum for the last cell with a
    value greater than zero and display that value, but I'm just not sure what it
    is or how to use it.

  5. #5
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: HOW? Find and display the last cell in a column with a value > 0

    You're confusing me Biff.<g>

    Why the array suggestion?

    First one works fine for text *AND/OR* numbers, though it *also* returns
    nulls, which of course can be very confusing if displaying an 'empty'
    appearing cell.

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Forum Expert
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    1,500
    biff's last formula entered as an array shift cntrl enter works, I was going to suggest something similar

    =INDEX(C2:C25,MAX(IF((ISNUMBER(C2:C25))*(C2:C25>0),ROW(C2:C25)-ROW(C2)+1)))

    it assumes your data is in columnc the range being c2:c25 you may need to extend the range for your purposes

    Regards

    Dav

  7. #7
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: HOW? Find and display the last cell in a column with a value > 0

    >Why the array suggestion?

    It eliminates text including formula blanks.

    The first formula won't.

    The way things go for me is, I'd post only the first formula then the OP
    would follow-up with " it doesn't work, I get a blank cell ???"

    So, I just tried to cover all the bases without getting into overkill!

    Biff

    "Ragdyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > You're confusing me Biff.<g>
    >
    > Why the array suggestion?
    >
    > First one works fine for text *AND/OR* numbers, though it *also* returns
    > nulls, which of course can be very confusing if displaying an 'empty'
    > appearing cell.
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > RD

    > "Biff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Hi!
    >>
    >> Try one of these:
    >>
    >> If the range will ONLY CONTAIN NUMBERS (empty cells are ok) and no TEXT
    >> including formula blanks:
    >>
    >> =LOOKUP(2,1/(C2:C25>0),C2:C25)
    >>
    >> Or, if there might be TEXT entries, entered as an array using the key
    >> combination of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:
    >>
    >> =INDEX(C2:C25,MAX(IF((ISNUMBER(C2:C25))*(C2:C25>0),ROW(C2:C25)-ROW(C2)+1)))
    >>
    >> Biff
    >>
    >> "Conker10382" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >>>I want to create a formula in a cell that will make that cell display the
    >>> value of the last cell in a column with a value greater than 0.
    >>> i.e.:
    >>> A B C D E
    >>> 1 500 <----
    >>> 2
    >>> 3 17
    >>> 4 75
    >>> 5 500 <----

  8. #8
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: HOW? Find and display the last cell in a column with a value > 0

    >biff's last formula entered as an array shift cntrl enter works

    Well, of course it works! <vbg>

    They always work based on the questions and information provided! But of
    course sometimes the poster forgets to mention some other details that casue
    problems but we can deal with that in a follow-up!

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  9. #9
    Conker10382
    Guest

    Re: HOW? Find and display the last cell in a column with a value >

    Well, Biff I'm glad you posed both of them.. You were absolutly right. The
    first one kept coming up with a blank cell, and the Index worked great.
    Thanks!

  10. #10
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: HOW? Find and display the last cell in a column with a value > 0

    Well, we could just add another argument to by-pass the nulls, thus
    *eliminating* any return of a *blank* cell:

    =LOOKUP(2,1/((A1:A100<>"")*(A1:A100>0)),A1:A100)

    This still returns text, which I think is OK, since in this scenario there
    should be none, and in others, it could come in handy for an "all-around"
    general last cell finder (with the >0, and <>"" qualifications).

    Plus of course, it's non-array, but let's not get into that discussion.<bg>

  11. #11
    Biff