Ascii symbols

  1. #1
    Percy
    Guest

    Ascii symbols

    Hi there I got in troubles when I use Excel in my laptop because I have to
    translate sometimes from English to Spanish so I need these symbols (á é í ó
    ú) but when I try to use with the Alt+Fn+161 for example it doesn't work,
    sometimes takes me to the colum M or shows a double cell . Does any body
    know how I can make to get these symbols?

    Thanks

    PERCY

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Canada
    MS-Off Ver
    2003, 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Percy
    Hi there I got in troubles when I use Excel in my laptop because I have to
    translate sometimes from English to Spanish so I need these symbols (á é í ó
    ú) but when I try to use with the Alt+Fn+161 for example it doesn't work,
    sometimes takes me to the colum M or shows a double cell . Does any body
    know how I can make to get these symbols?

    Thanks

    PERCY
    One way would be to go Insert -> Symbol....

    Scott

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Ascii symbols

    Percy

    Just use ALT + 0225................no Fn key.

    Make sure you use the numpad when entering the numbers.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Percy
    Guest

    Re: Ascii symbols

    I tried that but doesn't work

    PERCY

  5. #5
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Ascii symbols

    Hey Gord,

    Laptops are a *pain* when attempting this.

    This is what works for my Dell Inspiron:

    *Don't* use the numbers under the function keys.
    There are numbers in the middle of the qwerty keyboard, *over* some of the
    letters.
    Use those *AFTER* you "find" and toggle the numlock key (I'm doing this from
    memory, not at home now), so that you enable *those* qwerty numbers, and you
    see Num displayed in the XL status bar.

    Now, find the Fn (function) key (right of the left Ctrl key).
    NOW hold <Alt> and <Fn> and use those qwerty enabled numbers.

    This *does not* work on my daughter's IBM!

    Don't remember what she has to do to make this happen.

    --
    HTH,

    RD

  6. #6
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Ascii symbols

    Thanks RD

    Did not fully appreciate the laptop dificulties.

    Nor the use of the Fn key.

    Gord