Count the rows if the previous rows value is same as the next row value

  1. #1

    Count the rows if the previous rows value is same as the next row value

    Following is a piece of example of my spread sheet.
    The spread sheet is sorted on job name which is the first column and the second column is the program name.
    I need to find how many programs are impacted for each job.
    I need that count to be displayed on the count column(3rd Column).
    For the following example, the count for AB25DX will be 1, for BBB9MX will be 4, for BBB9WX will be 1 and for BBB1WX will be 2.

    Could some one help me in automating this process ?

    Job Name program Name count
    AB25DX AIC920
    BBB9MX AUC230
    BBB9MX AUC231
    BBB9MX AVD224
    BBB9MX AVD225
    BBB9WX AVD222
    BBB1WX ACD366
    BBB1WX AVD217

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Count the rows if the previous rows value is same as the next row value

    =COUNTIF(A:A,A2)

    and copy down.

    Bob Phillips

    "Dhruva101" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Count the rows if the previous rows value is same as the next row

    Take a look at Data > Subtotals feature........follow the menu to get a count
    on the column desired for each change.........

    hth
    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  4. #4
    Thank you Guys, Works Great. It was a very quick response.. Really appreciate your replies..