Formula won’t do it’s job on External Data Query

  1. #1
    Adnan
    Guest

    Formula won’t do it’s job on External Data Query

    Hi everyone, I have an External Data Query set up (data that I take from an
    Access database with this query to excel). The query seams to work great but
    when I insert a formula, they simply do not work.
    i.e: I have data (numbers) in A2, A3, A4 and want to SUM them, formula is
    accepted but will not sum them until I delete the data then type them up
    manually. It seams as this query is either formatting cells on an unknowns
    format (which shows no problem when I right-click it and see for formatting)
    or it’s just not possible to use formulas on data that come from an External
    Data Query set up.
    Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Thank you, Adnan
    Computer Student Student, Kosovo

    --
    Please post all your inquiries on this community so we can all benefit -
    Thank you!

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Auckland New Zealand
    MS-Off Ver
    Office Professional 2007
    It certainly IS possible to add numbers arising from queries.

    Are your numbers displaying right-aligned? If you r/mouse-Click and choose Format, which option is high-lighted?

    Can you edit your query, view the SQL, copy it and post it here?

    Regards
    Mike

  3. #3
    Adnan
    Guest

    Re: Formula won’t do it’s job on External Data Query

    Thank you for quick response Mike,

    My numbers are displaying left-aligned.

    If I right-mouse-click and choose Format, I get General format (first top
    category, which says general -- and it displays general on Custom category,
    too)

    I edited my query, viewed the SQL, copied and pasted it below:

    SELECT tblUnscheduledServices.ID, tblUnscheduledServices.DPWNumber,
    tblUnscheduledServices.DateReceived, tblUnscheduledServices.Priority,
    tblUnscheduledServices.DepartmentAllocatedTo,
    tblUnscheduledServices.TravelTime, tblUnscheduledServices.PreperationTime,
    tblUnscheduledServices.WorkTime, tblUnscheduledServices.DailyHours,
    tblUnscheduledServices.NumberOfEmployees,
    tblUnscheduledServices.CumulativeHours
    FROM tblUnscheduledServices tblUnscheduledServices

    In addition to explanation above, please open the following link for better
    explanation:
    http://punaime.itgo.com/photo.html

    Again, Thank you for taking the time to write to us!
    Adnan

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    Auckland New Zealand
    MS-Off Ver
    Office Professional 2007
    Your numbers being left-aligned means that they are either text at source, or being treated as text somewhere along the way.

    I suggest you check the field in the table definition, both in the Access table itself, and open the query, go to File, Table Definition, and search for the table and field entry there.

    Both definitions should be a numeric type. Post back the result.

    Regards
    Mike

  5. #5
    Adnan
    Guest

    Re: Formula won’t do it’s job on External Data Query

    Outstanding, this is it! Thank you Mike,
    I’ve checked the filed in the Access table and they were text --- I of
    course changed them to number and now it works outstanding.

    THANK YOU FOR YOUR GREAT HELP MIKE,

    Cheers,
    Adnan

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    Auckland New Zealand
    MS-Off Ver
    Office Professional 2007
    Thanks, I'm glad the problem has been solved, appreciate your feedback too!
    Mike