deleting vs. filtering . . . HELP!

  1. #1
    Wayne Knazek
    Guest

    deleting vs. filtering . . . HELP!

    In a nutshell . . . A TEXT FILE IS IMPORTED . . .

    In column C (example) there will either be text, a numeric value, or a
    "zero" (0).

    I need to set up a filter so that only rows with a numeric values > 0 show.
    (No rows with text or a zero in C will show)

    I tried to set up a helper column that (example) would have a "yes" in
    column D if the cell (C1) had a plus value, and "no" if it had text or a
    zero.

    I used . . . =IF(C1<=0,"no","yes") Works OK to eliminate cells with a zero
    or negative number. There's a "no" in the next column.

    I figuresd I'd get a "yes" in the columns with only text.

    BUT NO! If there's text in the column, other than the number 0, it counts
    as a numeric value. So I get a "yes" in any row with text or a value greater
    than zero.

    0 enters a no (good!)
    a negative number enters a no (Yazza!)
    a positive number enters a yes (poifec!)
    any text enters a yes (NO!)

    Hmmm. Comments welcome.

  2. #2
    Glen
    Guest

    RE: deleting vs. filtering . . . HELP!

    Try
    =IF(AND(T(C4)<>C4,C4>0),"yes","no")

    the two conditions check that the cell has a value that is greater than
    zero, and that the cell contents aren't text.... the T() function returns
    the value of the cell only if the contents are text.

    Cheers,

    Glen

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: deleting vs. filtering . . . HELP!

    > I need to set up a filter so that only rows with a numeric values > 0 show.
    > (No rows with text or a zero in C will show)

    Another tinker to play with ..

    Try in say D1:
    =IF(TRIM(C1)="","",IF(ISTEXT(C1),"no",IF(C1+0<=0,"no","yes")))
    Copy down
    --
    Max
    Singapore

  4. #4
    Wayne Knazek
    Guest

    Re: deleting vs. filtering . . . HELP!

    Yazza! Thanks! Will try both ideas today.

    Much appreciated!

    Wayne

  5. #5
    Wayne Knazek
    Guest

    RE: deleting vs. filtering . . . HELP!

    OK, that worked great! Buit now I have another issue on the same sheet.

    There are rows I don't want to show, even if they contain a positive value
    in Column C. The request wasn't made clear to me. Now I need to redo this a
    little.

    The good news is, the data always comes in, in the same format. So the data
    in the rows I want to filter out is always the same.

    Your formula ( =IF(A22="Y",C22*(-1)) ) worked fine. When I run it, I end up
    with 6 rows of data. All the other "stuff" is gone.

    Here's what I have, and what I need . . .

    Now (after filter ran)

    A B C
    TE | |0.055
    LE | |0.094
    X | |.559
    Y | |0.749
    Z | |0.987
    L | |0.296

    What I need to do is show only this . . . (No X, Y opr Z)

    A B C
    TE | |0.055
    LE | |0.094
    L | |0.296

    Hmmmmmm

  6. #6
    Max
    Guest

    Re: deleting vs. filtering . . . HELP!

    You're welcome, Wayne.

  7. #7
    Max

    "Wayne Knazek" wrote:
    > OK, that worked great!

    Which suggestion/s worked for you?
    Both?, Glen's or mine?

    > .. But now I have another issue on the same sheet.

    > Your formula ( =IF(A22="Y",C22*(-1)) ) worked fine.

    Neither Glen nor me gave you that suggestion. Perhaps you mixed it up with
    another post/thread of yours. Anyway, whatever it is I would suggest that you
    put in your new query as a new post. Since one of our suggestions worked for
    your orig. post here, let's close this thread and move on ..

  8. #8
    Wayne Knazek
    Guest

    Re: deleting vs. filtering . . . HELP!

    My bad! I copied the wrong formula in my last post. The formula that worked
    was . . .

    The forumula in my last post was one from another cell,m resolving a
    different problem.

  9. #9
    Wayne Knazek
    Guest

    Re: deleting vs. filtering . . . HELP!

    UGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

    .... was . . IF(AND(T(C1)<>C1,C1>0),"yes","no")

  10. #10
    Max
    Guest

    Re: deleting vs. filtering . . . HELP!

    Thanks for replying

    > ... was . . IF(AND(T(C1)<>C1,C1>0),"yes","no")

    ... will leave it to Glen to follow through further with you

    Btw, just curious why my suggestion didn't work (it was lightly tested ok
    here). Which values in col C over at your end failed to return the desired
    outcome when you tried it? Could you paste some of these in reply here?
    Thanks.

  11. #11
    Max