Data Validation - but not restricting values

  1. #1
    Jon5001
    Guest

    Data Validation - but not restricting values

    I've applied data validation (list setting) to some cells in my workbook. The
    source is a named range in another sheet. When I click on the cells with
    validation, the dropdown list with the values I expect appears and I can
    choose them as normal. However, I can also type in any other value I choose
    and excel will not complain. Anyone know what's causing this?

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation - but not restricting values

    "Jon5001" wrote:
    > I've applied data validation (list setting) to some cells in my workbook. The
    > source is a named range in another sheet. When I click on the cells with
    > validation, the dropdown list with the values I expect appears and I can
    > choose them as normal. However, I can also type in any other value I choose
    > and excel will not complain. Anyone know what's causing this?

    Nothing wrong there. That's the behaviour when you use Allow: List
    --
    Max
    Singapore

  3. #3
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: Data Validation - but not restricting values

    Validation. Click on the Error Alert tab. What selections have you made
    there? Unless the first checkbox is selected, there won't be any
    notification.

  4. #4
    Jon5001
    Guest

    RE: Data Validation - but not restricting values

    The strange thing is that the box is selected and the style is Stop.

  5. #5
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation - but not restricting values

    Clarification:
    > Nothing wrong there. That's the behaviour when you use Allow: List

    should read as:
    > Nothing wrong there. That's the behaviour when you use Allow: List
    > and the named range covers an empty cell within it

    Just my observations ..

  6. #6
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation - but not restricting values

    Think your defined range covers/carries an empty cell within it.
    Remove that empty cell and I believe it'll work