Separate One Cell Into Many Rows

  1. #1

    Separate One Cell Into Many Rows

    Cell A1 has 13,242 whole numbers listed, each separated by a semi-colon. How can I separate all these numbers into 13,242 rows? I tried to do columns to rows but Excel will not accomodate 13,242 columns. I put in into Word, and still cannot figure it out. I need to do this process every month with different numbers and a different amount of numbers in Cell A1. Thanks for your help in advance.

  2. #2
    Greg Wilson
    Guest

    RE: Separate One Cell Into Many Rows

    Try:

    Sub xyz()
    Dim arr As Variant
    arr = Split(Range("A1").Value, ";")
    Range("A1").Resize(UBound(arr) + 1).Value = Application.Transpose(arr)

    Greg

  3. #3
    Greg Wilson
    Guest

    RE: Separate One Cell Into Many Rows

    I suspect that the Split function can't handle that many elements. I don't
    have a burning desire to construct a test with a text string containing
    35,242 numbers separated by semi-colons. If not, we should be able to come up
    with something. Perhaps using a combination loop using Split to its max
    capacity, pasting, and then reusing Split ??? Or just a simple loop and parse.

    Greg