Cannot set Excel to only lock specified cells

  1. #1
    ZRW
    Guest

    Cannot set Excel to only lock specified cells

    I have a spread sheet that I need alternating rows with names and cells to
    enter data. Following the standard instructions of selecting the cells
    formating them to lock and then protecting the worksheet results in all cells
    being locked instead of the ones I have selected. How can I fix this?

  2. #2
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: Cannot set Excel to only lock specified cells

    By default, all cells are locked, so when you protect the
    worksheet, none of the cells can be edited. Select the cells you
    wish to unlock, go to the Format menu, choose Cells, then the
    Protection tab. Then, uncheck the Locked box. Finally protect
    your sheet.

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    ZRW
    Guest

    Re: Cannot set Excel to only lock specified cells

    Is there something I may have done while creating the spreadsheet that is
    preventing me from unlocking the cells. After selecting all cells, I have
    tried unlocking a few cells. Either all the cells end up being locked or none
    do. There is an opaque green square when I go to the unlock cells under
    Format. When I click it it turns into a check mark and a second click clears
    it. I suspect that green square is a default setting that I can't find to
    turn off. Is this correct.