Comparing two workbooks and highlighting the differences

  1. #1
    Charles C.
    Guest

    Comparing two workbooks and highlighting the differences

    Hello,

    I have GS072506.xls and GS072606.xls. Basically I run a daily report that
    generates a spreadsheet. The spreadsheets always have the exact same row and
    column format. However, the contents within the individual cells may or may
    not change from day to day. I would like to find a way to compare 'todays'
    spreadsheet with 'yesterdays' spreadsheet and have the changes highlighted in
    BOLDED RED font on 'todays' spreadsheet.

    For example, I would like to compare GS072606.xls (which was generated
    today) with GS072506.xls (which was generated yesterday) and highlight (BOLD
    RED font) the text that is in GS072606.xls but not in GS072506.xls .

    Thank you!
    Charles C.

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor Excelenator's Avatar
    Wantagh, NY

    Exclamation

    You can use a formula that you insert into todays sheet in a blank column to lookup the id number or any other identifying data for a record and then use conditional formatting based on the result of that formula.

    Formula
    =ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A2,'7-25-06'!$A$2:$C$5,2,FALSE))

    I've attached a file that contains two sheets (you can change this to to separate files) and compares the first sheet to the next using the formula above and then applies conditional formatting to the data that is not contained on the old sheet.
    Last edited by Excelenator; 07-26-2006 at 05:09 PM.
    ONLY APPLIES TO VBA RESPONSES WHERE APPROPRIATE
    To insert code into the VBE (Visual Basic Editor)
    1. Copy the code.
    2. Open workbook to paste code into.
    3. Right click any worksheet tab, select View Code
    4. VBE (Visual Basic Editor) opens to that sheets object
    5. You may change to another sheets object or the This Workbook object by double clicking it in the Project window
    6. In the blank space below the word "General" paste the copied code.

  3. #3
    Charles C.
    Guest

    Re: Comparing two workbooks and highlighting the differences

    Thanks for the info....Could not download compare2sheets.zip. Would you send
    it to [email protected] ???? thanks!