Control IP movement

  1. #1
    JR Hester
    Guest

    Control IP movement

    Am designing a spreadsheet template to consolidate daily operations
    information into a one page report. Have tried using Word forms with fields
    which does a great job of controlling the order of the data entry when
    locked, however in Word2000 generating calculations is frustrating in a
    locked form.

    In Excel, here is my stumbling block. I need to automate movement from cell
    to cell, cells for data entry are not lined up continously. Is there a
    simple method of positioning insertion point in cell G5, then moving to cell
    K3 after data is entered into G5, and so forth?

    I have approximately 50 cells for data entry in this little spreadsheet. Any
    pointers will be greatly appreciated.

    Help will be graciously appreciated.

  2. #2
    PancakeBatter
    Guest

    RE: Control IP movement

    Hi JR Hester,

    Protect all the cells in your worksheet (Format, Cells, Protection). Then,
    unprotect the cells you want users to edit. Then protect the worksheet
    (Tools, Protection, Protect Worksheet). Select just the "Select unlocked
    cells option" then protect the worksheet.

    Work?

    Pancake Batter

  3. #3
    JR Hester
    Guest

    RE: Control IP movement

    In Excel 2000 I don't locate a "Select unlocked cells option". When
    protected, this only limits data entry into teh lcoked cells. I would like to
    actually position the active cell to "step the user through the process"

  4. #4
    PancakeBatter
    Guest

    RE: Control IP movement

    Ah. It appears that feature was added in ver 2002. How many users?

  5. #5
    JR Hester
    Guest

    RE: Control IP movement

    Ther will be between 12 and 20 users needing to use this form. One per day,
    though. I recall many years ago setting up a autoexecuting macro in another
    spreadsheet that would advance to a cell, allow input, then move to a new
    specified cell when [enter] key was pressed. That memory haunts me, Oh for
    simpler times!

    Thanks for your sugtgestions. I will keep looking for a solution to this
    issue.

  6. #6
    PancakeBatter
    Guest

    RE: Control IP movement

    Amen for the simpler times brother. Wells, see link below... this might be
    that macro... at the bottom. Good luck!

    http://experts.about.com/q/Excel-105...excel-2000.htm

    PB