importing two text files to same sheet

  1. #1
    Greg
    Guest

    importing two text files to same sheet

    I know there are a few similar posts out there but I want a little more
    specific information.

    I am going to be getting two text files from two different databases. All
    information is coded to specific jobID numbers. I want to be able to import
    one file and then the other. The part that may be tricky is I want to match
    the second import information to the JobID from the first import.
    I hope this makes sense.
    --
    Greg

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: importing two text files to same sheet

    If you are not sure the rows will all line up appropriately, you should
    import the two text files to two different XL sheets and then construct a
    VLOOKUP formula to conjoin the data..........

    hth
    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  3. #3
    Greg
    Guest

    RE: importing two text files to same sheet

    I am familiar with how vlookups work but I'm not sure I follow. The difficult
    part of this is that one import may have more than one instance of the same
    JobID (flattening of parent to child relationship) but the second import
    will only be solely unique.
    --
    Greg

  4. #4
    Greg
    Guest

    RE: importing two text files to same sheet

    I figured out what you suggested with the vlookup. That'll work. I think my
    brain left at lunch time.
    Thanks again
    --
    Greg

  5. #5
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: importing two text files to same sheet

    Not a problem, and thanks for letting us know. Sorry it took so long to get
    back to you but I been running errands and just got home. Glad to hear you
    got it sorted........it was a difficult thing to try and explain in just
    text..........Post back if you have any more problems with it..........

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    news:[email protected]...