Help with Worksheet protection please

  1. #1
    Jim Ryan
    Guest

    Help with Worksheet protection please

    Apologies if this is too simple a query for this forum but do not use XL too
    much now as am retired. An old employee has sent me a spreadsheet and wants
    to be able to protect it for her clients to use – except certain input cells.
    I can see how to protect the whole sheet but how do I unprotect selected
    cells?
    Have read related posts but still confused!
    Appreciate your help.

    --
    Why work on Wednesday and stuff up two good long weekends

  2. #2
    Neil
    Guest

    RE: Help with Worksheet protection please

    Jim,

    By default all cells in Excel are locked, and thus when protection is
    applied they are un-editable. To remove the 'locked' status do this:

    Select the cell(s) you wish to have un-protected.
    Got the 'Format' menu and select 'Cells'
    Now selec the 'Protection' tab, and untick the box marked 'Locked'

    Now when you protect the sheet, these cell will still be editable by the
    final user.

    HTH

    Neil
    www.nwarwick.co.uk

  3. #3
    MartinW
    Guest

    Re: Help with Worksheet protection please

    Hi Jim,

    In addition to Neil's post, In version 2002 onward you have the
    option to select unlocked cells only when applying protection.
    This means the user can only select the cells you specify.
    In earlier versions the user can select locked cells but
    recieves an error message if they attempt to edit them.

    Also it should be noted that excel protection is very
    easily broken. It doesn't stop anyone who is actually
    trying to tamper with the file. It really only stops any
    accidental changes.

    HTH
    Martin