Basic Excel help for beinnger

  1. #1

    Basic Excel help for beinnger

    Is there anyway to automatically update a spreadsheet when my client updates a different spreadsheet (within the same workbook) and on the same network.

    I need to have a COUNT function to add up the total number of comments. But these comments are long strings and the count function doesnt work. Anyone have any suggestions. I figure I could use a macro but I have no idea how to use them. So any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Paul

  2. #2

    countif function

    hi u can try a countif function

    =COUNTIF(D17:D21,"<>")

    "<>" will count the cells that are not empty.

    thanks.

  3. #3
    Jay
    Guest

    Re: Basic Excel help for beinnger

    ernestgoh wrote:
    > hi u can try a countif function
    >
    > =COUNTIF(D17:D21,"<>")
    >
    > "<>" will count the cells that are not empty.
    >
    > thanks.

    Erm, the above function will count the number of cells containing <>.
    Not what the OP asked for. It should read:

    =COUNTIF(D17:D21,"<>""")

    Or an easier way of counting cells that aren't empty would be:

    =COUNTA(D17:D21)

    As the purpose of COUNTA is to count non-empty cells, no condition is
    required. Whereas, the COUNT formula requires the <>"" which checks that
    the cell is not equal to an empty string "". Although, as this condition
    itself has to be in inverted commas, you end up with the clunky "<>"""

    HTH,

    Jay