Cells in a column in half?

  1. #1

    Cells in a column in half?

    Is this even possible?

    I have a worksheet like this:

    untitled.jpg

    From A2 down are just names.

    Now, I want to enter two dates for each cell in red. I'm asking if splitting cells in half is possible, because I want to add different conditional formatting (different colour!) to each date.

    (When nothing is entered, the cell is red. When a date is entered, the cell is green. I want to add another date which will turn its cell amber)

    I hope this is clear.

    edit: if it's impossible, it doesn't matter. I have a fairly cool plan B
    Last edited by Ascesis; 07-28-2006 at 07:09 AM.

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Cells in a column in half?

    Please clarify. You cannot enter two dates in one cell

    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    "Ascesis" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Cells in a column in half?

    I can't see your sample--I don't use excelforum.

    Conditional formatting affects the whole cell.

    And your life will be much easier if you keep the dates in separate cells.

  4. #4
    Yeah, I thought it wouldn't be possible.

    Plan B should've been Plan A

    Thanks.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard Liengme
    Please clarify. You cannot enter two dates in one cell

    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
    remove caps from email

    "Ascesis" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

    > Is this even possible?
    >
    > I have a worksheet like this:
    >
    > 5120
    >
    > From A2 down are just names.
    >
    > Now, I want to enter two dates for each cell in red. I'm asking if
    > splitting cells in half is possible, because I want to add different
    > conditional formatting (different colour!) to each date.

    > |Filename: untitled.jpg |
    > |Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=5120 |

    > Ascesis
    > Ascesis's Profile:
    > View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=565947

    Oh, what I actually meant was, the cell underneath the header for the dates should be split in half.
    -------------------------------

    Like

    A1 is a cell
    and A2 is split in half with something like the split column function on Word or something
    Last edited by Ascesis; 07-28-2006 at 11:30 AM.

  6. #6
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: Cells in a column in half?

    You can use columns A and B for your dates and for your header in A1
    highlight A1:B1 then Format | Cells | Alignment (tab) and for
    Horizontal Alignment choose Centre Across Selection - this will give
    you the effect of a split column, particularly if you use vertical
    borders, but the dates have to be in different columns.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  7. #7
    Yes, that's exactly what I wanted to do.

    Thanks.

  8. #8
    Pete_UK
    Guest