always prompted to save opened workbooks

  1. #1
    kjbrr
    Guest

    always prompted to save opened workbooks

    Any time I open a workbook, even if just to print it from windows explorer,
    I'm prompted to save (Do you want to save the changes you made to
    "filename.xls")
    However, no changes are made...Is there something I can do to keep from
    being asked after opening every file?
    I found the "Remove Hidden Data" on this machine and removed it via
    Add/Remove Programs, then restarted the computer. However, I'm still
    receiving the same prompts.
    Thanks for any help you can provide.

  2. #2
    Scoops
    Guest

    Re: always prompted to save opened workbooks

    kjbrr wrote:
    > Any time I open a workbook, even if just to print it from windows explorer,
    > I'm prompted to save (Do you want to save the changes you made to
    > "filename.xls")
    > However, no changes are made...Is there something I can do to keep from
    > being asked after opening every file?
    > I found the "Remove Hidden Data" on this machine and removed it via
    > Add/Remove Programs, then restarted the computer. However, I'm still
    > receiving the same prompts.
    > Thanks for any help you can provide.

    Hi kjbrr

    I suspect a worksheet has a volatile function in it, for example
    =TODAY(), which re-calculates when the workbook is opened, so, having
    changed itself, it will always request a save confirmation.

    Regards

    Steve

  3. #3
    Scoops

  4. #4
    Scoops

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: always prompted to save opened workbooks

    There are several Volatile Functions.

    AREAS()
    OFFSET()
    CELL()
    INDIRECT()
    NOW()
    TODAY()
    RAND()

    Any one or more of these could be the culprit that is updating and causing the
    change(s) to be made.

    You can do a Find for these or hit CTRL + `(backquote above Tab key) to toggle
    View Formulas on and do a look search by eyeball.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP