Cell fill colors in Excel change when copying to a new book

  1. #1
    jkbond67
    Guest

    Cell fill colors in Excel change when copying to a new book

    Whenever I copy a sheet to a new workbook, the fill colors of the cells
    change to a darker, or different color. I want them to remain the same as
    when I copied them.

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Cell fill colors in Excel change when copying to a new book

    The source workbook may have had its colors modified under
    Tools>Options>Color>Modify>Custom.

    This is a workbook only setting and when colored cells are copied to another
    workbook, the colors become that of the target workbook.

    In order to have the cells not change when copied to the target WB, you must
    import the colors to the target WB.

    With both WB open, select target WB and Tools>Options>Colors and "Copy colors
    from"

    Pick the source WB from the dialog box and OK

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  3. #3
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Cell fill colors in Excel change when copying to a new book

    When you copy cells to a new workbook, they use colours from that
    workbook's palette. You could copy the palette from the original
    workbook to the new workbook:

    Open the old workbook and the new workbook
    In the new workbook, choose Tools>Options
    On the Color tab, in the 'Copy Colors from' dropdown, choose the old
    workbook
    Click OK

    --
    Debra Dalgleish