Excel 2002 - How do I split a .xls file into multiple files based on data in a column

  1. #1

    Excel 2002 - How do I split a .xls file into multiple files based on data in a column

    I am working on a huge spreadsheet that logs thousands of transactions
    from dozens of customers. What I need to be able to do quickly break
    up that spreadsheet by customer code (column C) and save a file for
    every customer (along with the header) as a file named "(column C) -
    (column B) - (date).xls" I want it to save every file in one pass, and
    each file should include every column from A through P for the rows
    included.

    For example, in column C rows 2-20 the value is CAT004, 21-24 is
    BOB002, and 25-200 is JIL000. There should be 3 output files which
    should be named:

    CAT004 - Caterpillar - 8-1-2006.xls
    BOB002 - Bob Sykes - 8-1-2006.xls
    JIL000 - Jilliard Wallace - 8-1-2006.xls

    Does anyone have a good solution?

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Excel 2002 - How do I split a .xls file into multiple files based on data in a column

    Hi

    Use the code on this page
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy5.htm

    For workbooks use
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy5.htm#workbook

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

  3. #3

    Re: Excel 2002 - How do I split a .xls file into multiple files based on data in a column

    Thanks!

  4. #4

    Re: Excel 2002 - How do I split a .xls file into multiple files based on data in a column

    Sorry, one other thing. Is there any way to change or designate
    formatting with this method? Optimally, I would prefer to keep the
    formatting from the original document. If that isn't possible, I would
    like to remove word wrap and auto-fit the width of the columns to the
    text inside. The code you showed me is already a huge help, but this
    would would make it even moreso.

    Thank you!