Dynamic range question

  1. #1
    Guy Normandeau
    Guest

    Dynamic range question

    I've been using dynamic ranges for a while now and everything has been
    working great until now. I found that in one of my ranges I have 10% blank
    cells. Unformtunately, I don't have any columns that are completely filled
    with data. Is there a function that I could use in the definition of named
    range that would include the blanks?

    A B C
    1 B001 c001
    2 A002 c002
    3 B003
    4 A004 B004
    5 C005
    6 A006 B006
    7 A006 B007 C007
    8 B008

    When I use CountA for column A the function returns a value of 4, 6 for
    column B and 4 for Column C. What I would like to return is 8 since there is
    data in 8 rows.

    Thanks in advande for your help.

    Guy Normandeau

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Canada, Quebec
    Bonjour Normand

    You can try this

    rowcount = Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "a").End(xlUp).Row

  3. #3
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: Dynamic range question

    Try:

    Range "A"

    =OFFSET(Sheet1!$A1,0,0,MAX(COUNTA(Sheet1!$A:$A),COUNTA(Sheet1!$B:$B),COUNT(Sheet1!$C:$C)),1)

    Range "B"

    =OFFSET(Sheet1!$B1,0,0,MAX(COUNTA(Sheet1!$A:$A),COUNTA(Sheet1!$B:$B),COUNT(Sheet1!$C:$C)),1)

    etc

    HTH

  4. #4
    Guy Normandeau
    Guest

    RE: Dynamic range question

    I created named ranges tblA, tblB using the code exactly as stated below. I
    also created tblC referencing column C and I get the following.

    When selecting range tblA cells A1 through A6 are highlighted.
    When selecting range tblB cells B1 through B6 are highlighted.
    When selecting range tblC cells C1 through C6 are highlighted.

    All ranges is missing the data in rows 7 and 8.

    Unless I'm doing something wrong, it appears as if dynamic ranges are not
    possible using the function CountA if you have blank values in your data.

  5. #5
    Guy Normandeau
    Guest

    Re: Dynamic range question

    How would I use this in defining a named range?

  6. #6
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: Dynamic range question

    It works OK for me.

    If I type tblA in the "name box" then cells A1 to A8 are highlighted and it
    is the same for tblB and tblC i.e. rows 1 to 8 are highlighted for columns B
    & C.

    .... and you cannot use the "rowcount=...." suggestions unless you are using
    VBA and this stops at the last non-blank entry in a column so still have to
    determine which is the longest column.

    Excel 2003

  7. #7
    Guy Normandeau
    Guest

    RE: Dynamic range question

    As per the microsoft help:

    COUNTA

    Counts the number of cells that are not empty and the values within the list
    of arguments. Use COUNTA to count the number of cells that contain data in a
    range or array.

    Syntax

    COUNTA(value1,value2,...)

    Value1, value2, ... are 1 to 30 arguments representing the values you
    want to count. In this case, a value is any type of information, including
    empty text ("") but not including empty cells. If an argument is an array or
    reference, empty cells within the array or reference are ignored. If you do
    not need to count logical values, text, or error values, use the COUNT
    function.

    In My case, the blanks cells are empty cells therefore are not counted
    therefore, the named range is short.

    Guy

  8. #8
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: Dynamic range question

    You initially stated blank cells, but given they are empty, try this:

    =OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$1,0,0,MAX(MATCH(LOOKUP(99^99,Sheet1!$A:$A),Sheet1!$A:$A,0),MATCH(LOOKUP(99^99,Sheet1!$B:$B),Sheet1!$B:$B,0),MATCH(LOOKUP(99^99,Sheet1!$C:$C),Sheet1!$C:$C,0)),1)

    HTH

  9. #9
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: Dynamic range question

    ....rewind! this will only work if the values in any column are unique and in
    ascending order!! Back to the drawing board.

  10. #10
    Leo Heuser
    Guest

    Re: Dynamic range question

    "Guy Normandeau" <[email protected]> skrev i en
    meddelelse news:[email protected]...
    > I've been using dynamic ranges for a while now and everything has been
    > working great until now. I found that in one of my ranges I have 10%
    > blank
    > cells. Unformtunately, I don't have any columns that are completely
    > filled
    > with data. Is there a function that I could use in the definition of
    > named
    > range that would include the blanks?
    >
    > A B C
    > 1 B001 c001
    > 2 A002 c002
    > 3 B003
    > 4 A004 B004
    > 5 C005
    > 6 A006 B006
    > 7 A006 B007 C007
    > 8 B008
    >
    > When I use CountA for column A the function returns a value of 4, 6 for
    > column B and 4 for Column C. What I would like to return is 8 since there
    > is
    > data in 8 rows.
    >
    > Thanks in advande for your help.
    >

    > Guy Normandeau

    Hi Guy

    If I have understood you correctly, here's one way:

    Define the named range ColA with this formula:

    =OFFSET($A$1,,,MAX(IF($A$1:$C$1000<>"",ROW($A$1:$C$1000))))

    Similar for ColB and ColC

    Make $C$1000 as large as you need it.

    --
    Best regards
    Leo Heuser

    Followup to newsgroup only please.

  11. #11
    Guy Normandeau
    Guest

    RE: Dynamic range question

    Also, this only works if you have at one numeric value in your column.

  12. #12
    Leo Heuser
    Guest

    Re: Dynamic range question

    Didn't my answer from yesterday reach your NG server?

  13. #13
    Guy Normandeau
    Guest

    Re: Dynamic range question

    Sorry, I did not see your answer when I replied but it does exactly what I
    need.

    Thanks Leo!

  14. #14
    Leo Heuser
    Guest

    Re: Dynamic range question

    "Guy Normandeau" <[email protected]> skrev i en
    meddelelse news:[email protected]...
    > Sorry, I did not see your answer when I replied but it does exactly what I
    > need.
    >
    > Thanks Leo!

    You're welcome, Guy, and thanks for the feedback :-)

    Leo Heuser