Concatinating a string of numbers - how?

  1. #1

    Concatinating a string of numbers - how?

    Okay, so here is my dilema.

    In a column, I have numbers like 123456789 and 234567890 (all are 9 digits long). However, when you select the cell, you can see that each of them is preceeded by a " ' " character that apparently is hidden from view. For example '123456789 and '234567890.

    I need to format these cells, but in order to do so, I need to get rid of the " ' " character preceeding each of the numbers in my column. Is there a way to concatenate or convert each of the numbers such that they no longer have the " ' " preceeding them?

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Use the value function.

  3. #3
    Guest

    Re: Concatinating a string of numbers - how?

    Hi

    The ' merely tells Excel that what is following is text. It does not display
    in Excel but means that the cell is treated as a text cell. The benefit of
    this is that leading zeroes show and 'numbers' of more than 15 digits will
    show (but cannot be calculated)
    If you use:
    =A2&B2
    this will concatenate the two cells - ignoring the '

    Hope this helps.
    Andy.

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor VBA Noob's Avatar
    London, England
    MS-Off Ver
    xl03 & xl 07(Jan 09)
    Posts
    11,988
    Or

    Data > text to column

    In delimter tick other and enter '

    VBA Noob

  5. #5

    Value function worked

    Thank you - value function worked!

  6. #6
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Concatinating a string of numbers - how?

    There are instructions here for converting text numbers to real numbers:

    http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry03.html

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Contextures