Shared Template on a Network Location

  1. #1
    cLiffordiL
    Guest

    Shared Template on a Network Location

    Hi all!
    I've created some templates in a folder on the network shared drive, which
    I would like other users to create workbooks out of it and not touch the
    original templates.
    In order to do so, I thought of inserting these templates into the General
    Template inside the New... dialog box.
    I've put the directory under Tools -> Options -> General -> At startup,
    open files in. Then, I restarted Excel and by clicking New..., the templates
    are displayed inside the dialog box. However, clicking on any of these
    templates somehow does not generate any actions at all.
    I've absolutely no idea why Excel is doing nothing upon clicking the
    template. Rightfully, at least something should happen, like an error
    message box. Would really appreciate any pointers or suggestions.
    Cheers!
    _______
    Clifford

  2. #2
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Shared Template on a Network Location

    Are you by chance using XL02?

    There's a bug in that version relating to the procedure you're trying to use
    for networking your templates!

    If you're *not* using XL02, what you describe should work.

    Post back with your version.

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Shared Template on a Network Location

    Also post back if you're using your XL as part of MS Office which includes
    Word.

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    cLiffordiL
    Guest

    Re: Shared Template on a Network Location

    Yes, its XL 2002 and I think it's part of the Standard Package which
    includes Word, Excel, Outlook & Powerpoint.
    Any fix to this??
    ________
    Clifford

    >>> _______

  5. #5
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Shared Template on a Network Location

    There's no fix for the actual procedure that you tried, since Redmond fixed
    the bug in XL03, but AFAIK, decided to let it remain in XL02. Strange that
    MS didn't fix it, since that procedure (alternate statrt-up file), works in
    *every* other version of XL.

    BUT, there *are* numerous ways to network your XL templates, probably the
    easiest of which is to use the MS Office route by going through Word, which
    is why I asked if you had it.

    I hope that you *do realize* however, that you must go to *every* machine on
    your LAN that you wish to have access to this template file. That would
    have also been necessary *even* with the procedure that you originally
    tried.
    Let's put it this way:
    Every *machine* on the LAN will need this file adjustment, whether it's
    done by you, or you trust your users to do this themselves.
    It is *easy*!

    Close XL.
    From *Word*:
    <Tools> <Options> <File Locations> tab,

    In the left column, among others, you will see:
    User Templates
    WorkGroup Templates

    There should be an entry in the right column for "User Templates".
    There should be *no* entry in the right column for "WorkGroup Templates".

    Click on "WorkGroup Templates", and then click the "Modify" button.
    In the "Modify Location" window, navigate to your templates file location
    (drive) and folder,
    Then <OK>.

    And you're done!

    The templates in the folder you specified will now be displayed in the
    <File> <New> <General> tab window, where clicking on a file will open a
    *copy* of the template, preserving the original from modification.

    NOW ... you must go to *each* machine, and make this same revision in Word
    to *all* of them.

    Some NOTES:

    You *don't* need .xlt files in the templates folder for this to work.
    Regular .xls files will react the same. It's location that counts here, not
    file type.

    If your templates folder *contains* another folder, this sub-folder will
    appear as a *separate* tab in the <File> <New> window, alongside the
    "General" tab.
    This is great if you have a large number of templates, and you wish to
    perhaps segregate them by department or type.
    SIDE NOTE:
    If this sub-folder is empty (no files), the tab will *not* display in the
    <File> <New> window.
    It must be populated with XL files for it to show.

    You can create numerous sub-folders, where the type of files that *each*
    sub-folder contains will dictate in which *program* that tab will be visible
    in.

    Meaning - XL file sub-folders *only* visible in XL.
    Word file sub-folders *only* visible in Word.

    If a sub-folder contains *both* XL and Word files, the *tab* will be visible
    in *both* programs ... BUT ... the files displayed in that tab will coincide
    with the program that opened it. The other programs files will not show.

    Don't forget - empty sub-folder are *not* displayed.

    --

    HTH,

    RD

    "cLiffordiL" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    Yes, its XL 2002 and I think it's part of the Standard Package which
    includes Word, Excel, Outlook & Powerpoint.
    Any fix to this??
    ________
    Clifford

    "Ragdyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    > Also post back if you're using your XL as part of MS Office which includes
    > Word.
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > RD

    -

    -

    >>> _______

  6. #6
    cLiffordiL
    Guest

    Re: Shared Template on a Network Location

    Thanks heaps!
    ________
    Clifford

  7. #7
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Shared Template on a Network Location

    You're welcome.
    Appreciate the feed-back.

    RD

    -