How to create a date mask and drop down list?

  1. #1

    How to create a date mask and drop down list?

    I am not sure if this is the proper wording, but is their anyway to create a standard date function/mark, to type dates in without having to type DASH, having to type out the entire year etc....

    Also how can I create a drop downlist to choose from (that shows results when I type the first letter or second letter) in a column?

    Any help with this would be greatly appreciated thanks

    -Nikos

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How to create a date mask and drop down list?

    Nikos

    For the date mask see Chip Pearsons' site

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm

    For the drop-down with autocomplete see Debra Dalgleish's site.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  3. #3
    I am a little uncertain how to apply this code, I have never done it before. How do I do it exactly so I don't mess up the program?

    Is their anyway to do it without code?

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How to create a date mask and drop down list?

    Hard to mess up when you do something to a copy of the workbook.

    Always best when learning to make a copy and work on that.

    Which code are you speaking of? Chip's quickentry code?

    Read his introductory instructions and should get an idea.

    Chip's first set of code on that page is copied and pasted to a sheet module.

    Copy the code and right-click on your sheet tab and "View Code".

    Paste in there and start entering in A1:A10.

    If you want a larger range, just edit the A1:A10 to whatever.

    You can enter dates without the - or / but then you have to convert them later
    so may as well do the - or/ to start with.

    For the Autocomplete question, Debra has provided excellent instructions to
    follow.

    Gord

  5. #5
    The dates seem to work, but I also tried time and it says EVent_Change is an ambigous name? Why is that when it works for the date? Is it because it can't do them both simultaneously? How do I get around this?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Gord Dibben

    You can enter dates without the - or / but then you have to convert them later
    so may as well do the - or/ to start with.

    What do you mean by convert them later? It seems to work fine for me? Is this in regards to if I want to export the data to another program such as Quickbooks or something?

    ***EDIT

    Also, how can I do the same date function in multiple columns, say its B and C, how do I specify that range exactly in the code? Just use a comma then put the next column range?

    Thanks
    Last edited by Nikos; 08-05-2006 at 12:36 PM.

  7. #7
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How to create a date mask and drop down list?

    Convert them later means..................

    You can type in a date like 20061223 which is not a real date.

    You can convert this number to a date via a few different methods using formulas
    or Data>Text to Columns.

    Gord