EDATE does not work

  1. #1
    Wiley
    Guest

    EDATE does not work

    I found the neat little edate function in one of the forum answers, which is
    exactly what I need. However, my formula:
    =edate(A1,3)
    does not work. I get #NAME. Problem is that the Analysis ToolPak appears
    to be installed, as it does have a checkmark next to it. Here at work, the
    systems people keep tight control over PC's. Users don't have any admin
    rights. Otherwise, I would try to uncheck it and reinstall it.

    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: EDATE does not work

    =DATE(YEAR(A2),MONTH(A2)+2,DAY(A2))

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Wiley
    Guest

    Re: EDATE does not work

    Don,

    Thanks. That works for most dates. But I believe it is only subtracting
    multiples of 30 days. I read in another post that the function is quirky.
    If I do =DATE(YEAR(A2),MONTH(A2)-3,DAY(A2)) and my Start Date is 5/31/2006,
    the formula returns 3/3/2006. EDATE does not have this limitation. I did
    find elsewhere a VERY lONG formula that works, but its length makes it less
    atractive.

    I'm hoping someone has run into the edate issue and has a solution that will
    make it work.

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor VBA Noob's Avatar
    London, England
    MS-Off Ver
    xl03 & xl 07(Jan 09)
    Posts
    11,988
    This seems to work

    =TEXT(MONTH(A2)-3&"/"&DAY(A2)&"/"&YEAR(A2),"mm/dd/yyyy")

    VBA Noob

  5. #5
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    Without using EDATE I believe this is the shortest formula that replicates

    =EDATE(A1,3)

    =MIN(DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1)+3+{0,1},DAY(A1)*{1,0}))

  6. #6
    Wiley
    Guest

    Re: EDATE does not work

    VBA Noob,

    Your formual gets confused in February. May 31 minus 3 months becomes
    February 31. Thanks anyway.

    daddylonglegs,
    I would have never thought of this appraoch but it appears to work. And as
    luck would have it, they sent out an install to our PC's yesterday for SP2
    for Occie. Now edate works. Coincidnece? Hmmm. So I am going to use
    edate, unless it decides to no logner work at soem point, but thanks to
    everyone for their efforts.