'same entries':Drop Down List

  1. #1

    'same entries':Drop Down List

    Hello,

    I'm having some trouble regarding 'same entries' selection...

    I.E. I have the following data

    List of Hospitals Machine Used Machine Readings

    Hospital A Roche Analyzer 12.65
    Hospital B Abbot Analyzer 25.9
    Hospital C Vitros Analyzer 1.45
    Hospital A Dimension Analyzer 3.6

    I've structured a Report Form that contains a drop-down list for selecting the hospital, then upon selection (let's say Hospital B), the machine used and the machine reading will appear in the form (Abbot and 25.9). This works out great for Hospitals B and C..but not with A....Upon selection of the first Hospital A (though in the drop-down list, the other Hospital A is at the bottom, the values for it will appear (Roche and 12.65). However, upon selection of the second Hospital A, the same values appear (First Hospital A values) and not its corresponding data (Dimension and 3.6)....It's like it cannot recognize another entry bearing the same name....

    Is there a way around this without renaming the second Hospital A to "Hospital A (2)"? I want it to be named exactly as it is named (which is Hospital A).

    Many thanks,

    lex

  2. #2
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    re: 'same entries':Drop Down List

    I assume you're using something like a Vlookup formula to return the values
    in the other two adjacent columns.

    Even an Index and Match combo will still return the *first* match found.

    You'll have to do something to differentiate between the 2 identical names.

    Could you perhaps add the machine name to the drop down list:

    Hospital A Roche
    Hospital A Dimension
    --

    HTH,

    RD

    "warburger" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

    Hello,

    I'm having some trouble regarding 'same entries' selection...

    I.E. I have the following data

    List of Hospitals Machine Used Machine Readings

[...]

    warburger's Profile:
    View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=568645

  3. #3

    re: 'same entries':Drop Down List

    If I've understood your questions correctly, I think the answer is to
    take a step back and view this as a database problem.

    What you really have going on are three or four "tables"

    table 1: Hospitals
    table 2: Machines
    table 3: Machines in Hospitals (optional)
    table 4: Hospital, Machine Readings

    separating the data like this will help with data integrity and in your
    case, back end analysis

    So let's assume a universe of 3 hospitals and 4 machines, where every
    hospital has each of the 4 machines.

    So, table 1 has 3 elements, table 2 has 4 elements and table 3 has 12
    elements.
    table1:
    Hospital A
    Hospital B
    Hospital C

    table2:
    Machine 1
    Machine 2
    Machine 3
    Machine 4

    Table 3, is a composite table composed of elements from table 1 and
    table 2. You can enforce referential integrity ("RI") by using data
    validations to restrict the entries in table 3 to entries in table 1
    and table 2. You'll want to have an extra column to identify each
    unique hospital/machine combination. This is known as a primary key.

    table3:
    1 Hospital A Machine 1
    2 Hospital A Machine 2
    3 Hospital A Machine 3
    4 Hospital A Machine 4
    ..
    ..
    ..
    12 Hospital C Machine 4

    Now table 4 is composed of elements from table 3 and readings entered
    manually. Again you can enforce RI with data validations. In this
    case, you'll need to use the ID# for the hospital, machine combo for
    the reading in question

    table 4:
    1 12.65
    3 1.45
    7 4.6
    8 25.9

    3, in the example above refers to Hospital A, Machine 3. You may want
    to add dates to table 4 is there is a time series of readings.

    Now, on the back end, you want drop downs to refer to table 1 (for
    hospitals). Thus, you will be guaranteed a unique list in your drop
    down. The result of the drop down selection, of course, would perform
    analysis on table 4 to get some useful answers.

    Hope this helps,

    Ryan