Formula'd cells charting as zero values

  1. #1
    Jay
    Guest

    Formula'd cells charting as zero values

    I have a very simple series, on which a line chart is based. The series
    contains the following formula:

    =IF(I6<>"",H26+I6,"")

    Therefore the cells in the range are blank if the source cell (row I) is
    empty.

    However, all cells with the above formula are being plotted as a zero
    value in the line chart?

    Can anyone advise how to prevent this happening while retaining the
    formula? I want NO value to be plotted instead of a zero.

    Many thanks,

    Jay

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Formula'd cells charting as zero values

    Use an error instead

    =IF(I6<>"",H26+I6,NA())

    will work, if the error annoys you from a design point of view you could
    hide it using
    conditional formatting and white fonts

    Peo Sjoblom

    Excel 95 - Excel 2007
    Northwest Excel Solutions
    www.nwexcelsolutions.com

    news:%[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jay
    Guest

    Re: Formula'd cells charting as zero values

    I'd rather not mess about hiding errors with c/formatting.

    So, am I right in thinking that my problem is that the empty text string
    ("") charts as a zero for some reason. Why is this?

    From just trying things this morning I see that any non-numeric data is
    charted as zero, and the only way (from my limited messing about) to not
    chart the cell as a zero is to have either an error or a truly empty
    cell (not just an empty string).

    Now I can see that the truly empty cell option isn't viable, considering
    the cells need to contain a formula. Are there any other ways to not
    chart a zero, without conditionally formatting the error.

    Cheers

    Jason

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Formula'd cells charting as zero values

    It's not a conditional formatting error, you misunderstood. Try the formula
    I gave you and you'll see that it will work
    as if the cell was empty. The reason I mentioned conditional formatting is
    that the formula will return #N/A! and you can hide that result by using
    conditional formatting. But it is the only way to dupe Excel into charting
    the cell as null