Can I have words representing numbers in a formula?

  1. #1
    PeterM
    Guest

    Can I have words representing numbers in a formula?

    I have several abbreviations representing numbers in a spreadsheet that I
    like to automate. I have for instance MGT to VW representing 3 miles than
    back to MGT then being 6 miles. Is there a way I can have a formula that can
    read MGT VW MGT and that will give a 6 mile total count. I then also have
    MGT AUDI ACURA BMW VW MGT. That is a trip I make with my car, and they all
    add little mileage to my spreadsheet amounting to 19 miles total. MGT to
    AUDI is 5 mi, AUDI to ACURA is 4 miles, ACURA to BMW is 6 miles, BMW to VW
    is 1 mi, and the VW to MGT is 3 miles. There are more destinations, but once
    I have the idea on how to do it, I can add the miles for different
    places.......Peter

  2. #2
    Wiley
    Guest

    RE: Can I have words representing numbers in a formula?

    You could set this up in a table, but would be looking at a lot fo formula
    work to handle multiple destiantions in one trip. It seems to me that just
    entering the milage would be easier.

    Can you tell us how you would enter the data? An exampe of a round trip to
    1 destination, vs round trip to mutliple destinations.

  3. #3
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Can I have words representing numbers in a formula?

    Should be relatively easy using the VLOOKUP function. You would need to set
    up a table listing your codes, and the appropriate mileage for each in the
    next column to the right. Say your list was in D1:E25, and the code you
    wanted to look up was in A1, then something like this in B1 should work
    fine.......

    =VLOOKUP(A1,D1:E25,2,FALSE)

    hth
    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  4. #4
    Bill Ridgeway
    Guest

    Re: Can I have words representing numbers in a formula?

    Yes, in a way. You could name a cell or a range of cells -
    Click on -
    <Insert><Name><Define>
    Type the name
    Click on <OK>

    If you had a cells named ABC and DEF you could add the cells by typing the
    formula =ABC+DEF

    Hope this helps.

    Regards.

    Bill Ridgeway
    Computer Solutions

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    PeterM
    Guest

    Re: Can I have words representing numbers in a formula?

    Many thanks to you for the help, Wiley, CLR and Bill. I'm on the road,
    making the rounds. I will answer back tonight...PeterM
    news:[email protected]...