Combining 2 tables

  1. #1

    Combining 2 tables

    Hi,
    I'm wondering how do i combine 2 tables. For example I have in:
    Table 1: Userid + Email
    Table 2: Userid + Name

    I would like to put the Name field in Table 2 into Table 1 so that Table 1 consists of Userid, Name & Email. Any idea how do I do that in Excel? What Excel function do I use?

    Thanks in advance for your help!

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Pakistan
    Posts
    1,791

    Lightbulb

    you want that Table 1 should consist of three columns
    i-e Userid, Name & Email
    suppose Userid is in col A, Email in col B
    click on any cell in col B and add a col (menu Insert > columns) and give it heading "Name".
    in this new col which is now col B put following formula.
    =VLOOKUP(A1,$D$1:$E$50,2,FALSE)
    in this formula range $D$1:$E$50 is where your Table 2 data is.
    you should change the references according to your data.

    hope this would serve the purpose.

    Quote Originally Posted by watz

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Combining 2 tables

    Assume table 1 is in Sheet1's cols A and B, data from row2 down,
    table 2 is in Sheet2's cols A and B, data from row2 down

    In Sheet1,

    Put in C2:
    =INDEX(Sheet2!B:B,MATCH(A2,Sheet2!A:A,0))
    Copy down to extract the names from Sheet2's col B into col C
    --
    Max
    Singapore

  4. #4
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Combining 2 tables

    If the Name columns line up exactly, then you can just Copy > Paste the other
    column from one table to the other..........

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3