Need some help - PLEASE

  1. #1

    Need some help - PLEASE

    Sorry that I only post when I need help, but I am desperate.

    I am using a spreadsheet for work. It has 19 tabs on it.

    The 18th tab takes numbers from many multiple cells from the first 17 tabs. Because the cells are not together, when I cut and pasted the formulas, they were all out of whack and I had to correct a few hundred cells one at a time. Also the first 17 tabs are tabs that are copied from other sheets one at a time.

    The 19th tab takes totals from the 18th tab

    Anyway....I finally got the sheet the way I need it but here is my problem. The last 2 tabs are tabs that I need to continually use. The way I need to use it is to first compile the sheet with the first 17 tabs and then copy in the last 2 tabs. The problem is that every time I paste in the last 2 tabs, it changes the formulas to include the file name of the original sheet. I have tried a million different things and can not figure it out.

    Hopefully I have explained this clearly enough so that someone can help me.

  2. #2

    Re: Need some help - PLEASE

    I change my formulas to strings, copy|paste, then change my strings back to
    formulas.

    In the sending workbook/worksheet
    select the range to copy
    edit|Replace
    what: =
    with: $$$$$=
    replace all

    Copy and paste

    Select the pasted range
    edit|Replace
    what: $$$$$=
    with: =
    replace all

    (don't forget to fix the original sheet, too.)

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Need some help - PLEASE

    Before copying the cells with the formulas do an edit>replace.

    Edit>Replace

    What: =
    With: $$$$$ or similar

    Replace all.

    Copy those over then reverse the process.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  4. #4
    THANK YOU Dave and Gord!!!

    You saved me hours of work and headaches!

    Thanks again!

  5. #5
    MS-Off Ver

    multiple tabs - similar question

    I use mulitple tabs frequently as well. My issue is on my first (summary) tab, if I have a formula that pulls from:

    =EV!C3

    when I want to copy/paste that formula in the rest of the column to pull from the other 19 tabs - is there a way to make it know to pull from the next tab? Now, I just paste the formula and change the EV! to the next tabs' name....
    Better to be roughly right than exactly wrong, unless you are using Excel.