Macro to alphabatize your sheet tabs?

  1. #1
    Jennifer
    Guest

    Macro to alphabatize your sheet tabs?

    I have a workbook created by someone else with about 50 different sheet tabs.
    Each tab is a part number. I would like to organize them alphabetically but
    it is quite a chore since there are so many. Is there a macro I can use that
    will automatically put them in alphabetical order?

    Thanks in advance for any help!

    Jennifer

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Macro to alphabatize your sheet tabs?

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/sortws.htm

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jennifer
    Guest

    Re: Macro to alphabatize your sheet tabs?

    Wow, you're fast :-) Thanks!

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Macro to alphabatize your sheet tabs?

    I only had to point you at the solution :-)

  5. #5
    Traveller
    Guest

    RE: Macro to alphabatize your sheet tabs?

    Perhaps I'm missing something, but I think all you have to do is right-click
    on the name of one sheet, choose "Select all sheets," then right-click again
    and choose "Sort" ascending or desending.

  6. #6

    Re: Macro to alphabatize your sheet tabs?

    Traveller

    sorry but; Excel sucks balls. Only in Access can you right-click SORT
    like that.

    -Aaron

  7. #7
    Traveller
    Guest

    Re: Macro to alphabatize your sheet tabs?

    Sorry, Aaron, I guess I wasn't clear. I meant to right-click on the worksheet
    name tabs, which brings up a sub-menu. Then you choose your options normally
    by left-clicking.

    Jennifer is asking about sorting the tabs in the lower left-hand corner of
    the sheet; that's where you right-click to bring up the sub-menues.

  8. #8
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Macro to alphabatize your sheet tabs?

    Traveller

    Did you try your method?

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  9. #9
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Macro to alphabatize your sheet tabs?

    Maybe in your Excel, but none that I have (97, 2000 or XP).

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  10. #10
    Traveller
    Guest

    Re: Macro to alphabatize your sheet tabs?

    Absolutely. Works great for me (Excel 2003). I don't think I've done anything
    special to my Excel. Maybe I'm still not explaining it very well. I'll check
    the help files and see if I can come up with clearer instructions.

  11. #11

    Re: Macro to alphabatize your sheet tabs?

    I dont see that functionality either

  12. #12
    Forum Contributor
    Somewhere....out there.....
    Aaron,

    If you hate Excel so much, why are you wasting your time looking for that functionality?

    Are you that stupid? In past postings, you've bragged of how great and smart you are, but now you can't find a sorting functionality?

    You're an idiot (to paraphrase what you've called other people in this forum).

  13. #13
    Traveller
    Guest

    Re: Macro to alphabatize your sheet tabs?

    From what you all are writing, I think this feature might be specific to
    Excel 2003. My help file gives this instruction for selecting all worksheets:

    "Right-click a sheet tab, and then click Select All Sheets on the shortcut
    menu (shortcut menu: A menu that shows a list of commands relevant to a
    particular item. To display a shortcut menu, right-click an item or press
    SHIFT+F10.)."

    What I was calling a sub-menu, they call a shortcut menu. On that menu, Sort
    Sheets is right above Tab Color. I was wrong about one thing: you don't even
    have to Select All Sheets to sort them. Again, perhaps I'm getting this
    option from an add-in that I've forgotten about!??

  14. #14
    Jim Cone
    Guest

    Re: Macro to alphabatize your sheet tabs?

    You wouldn't happen to have "XL Extras" installed? ( tools | add-ins )
    Available for free from http://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftware
    No registration required.
    --
    Jim Cone
    San Francisco, USA

    "Traveller"
    <[email protected]>
    From what you all are writing, I think this feature might be specific to

  15. #15
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Macro to alphabatize your sheet tabs?

    I would say definitely an add-in.

    This feature is not Excel 2003 default.

    Thanks for the update. I was thinking I missed something, which is not unheard
    of<g>

    Gord

  16. #16

    Re: Macro to alphabatize your sheet tabs?

    greaseman

    some excel dork was saying it was easy to alphabetize sheet names.

    I wish that it was easy. That is one thing that I would have liked to
    use; back in the stone age when I gave a crap about Excel.

    In general; sorting and filtering in Access consists of right-click
    sort and right-click filter.
    it also supports much more powerful sorting and filtering through the
    use of queries, views, sprocs.

    Excel is for babies.. and I was correcting some mis-information.

    -Aaron

  17. #17
    Traveller
    Guest

    Re: Macro to alphabatize your sheet tabs?

    I checked and I sure do (at my age I can barely remember my name, let alone
    the specifics of an add-in that I had forgotten about and had apparently been
    taking for granted). If that is the source of my sorting power (together with
    your Special Sort program, which I haven't forgotten about and which I
    consider the best $14 I ever spent) then lets give credit where credit is
    due.

    By the way, I also highly recommend the free ASAP add-in, with something
    like 300 features, some of which I couldn't live without.

    So I apologize to everyone who wondered if one of us wasn't going crazy and
    I give credit to Jim Cone for his great programming.

  18. #18
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Macro to alphabatize your sheet tabs?

    Nah, we all knew it was you going crazy <vbg>

  19. #19

    Re: Macro to alphabatize your sheet tabs?

    greaseman

    for the record-- I was correcting mis-information.

    home-slice was saying you could right-click sort on the sheetnames and
    sort them alphabetically.

    CAN YOU DO THIS?

    Eat **** greaser; I'm just making sure that people are aware that there
    ARE better tools on the market.

    TOO MANY CHIEFS AND NOT ENOUGH INDIANS.

    -Aaron

  20. #20

    Re: Macro to alphabatize your sheet tabs?

    yeah I'm just glad that greaseman didn't get all up on my back all over
    nothing.

    sounds like a great tool.

    I just wish that MS would give this functionality.

    I've been asking for MS to give us the ability to SORT FIELDNAMES --
    like in a database-- alphabetically or in a query; and they apparently
    don't think that it's important.

    -Aaron

  21. #21

    Re: Macro to alphabatize your sheet tabs?

    and I've NEVER bragged about how great and smart I am.

    I brag about how great SQL Server is.

    For starters, it can use this little invention called MEMORY--
    something that Excel can't utilize.

    -Aaron

  22. #22
    Forum Contributor
    Somewhere....out there.....
    Aaron,

    You still did not answer my original question: "If you hate Excel so much, why are you wasting your time looking for that functionality?"

    Three responses from you and you didn't answer the question, which is par for the course when it comes to you.

    And your original reply to this thread did not "correct mis-information": "I dont see that functionality either." TELL ME HOW YOUR ORIGINAL REPLY CORRECTED ANYTHING, you clown!!

    Before telling me to "Eat sh--, greaser", look at your stupid postings and review what you originally say.

    (1) Since you are so far removed from Excel, I still don't understand why you'd be looking for anything in Excel.
    (2) What mis-information were you trying to correct?

    Personally, I think it is YOU who is eating sh--, because you are truly full of crap.