Time and Date stamp - Pivot Chart

  1. #1
    Bemidji
    Guest

    Time and Date stamp - Pivot Chart

    Good morning:

    I am having an issue with a pivot chart and how it is displaying the
    data. The 3 types of data that I have included in the pivot chart
    include the following:

    Time and Date
    Downtime Reason
    Minutes Down

    The problem comes with the Time and Date. The data has been exported
    from Microsoft Infopath to an Excel spreadsheet, and when the data is
    entered by an employee, a Time and Date stamp is created for each of
    the downtime reasons. The Pivot Table is viewing these as separate
    occurrences, which they are, but I need to lump the data by date. I am
    not concerned with time.

    I want the pivot chart to show all of the occurrences of a downtime
    reason lumped to a single date igf they occurred on that date. Each
    column should be a different date. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance.

    I have created a pivot chart

  2. #2
    Bemidji
    Guest

    Re: Time and Date stamp - Pivot Chart

    Any ideas?? Help!!!!!

  3. #3
    KarenF
    Guest

    Re: Time and Date stamp - Pivot Chart

    Hi Bemidji,

    What version of Excel are you using? Also, perhaps the dates are not
    grouping together properly as they have the date AND time stamp. In your
    pivot chart (or in your pivot table), have you tried:

    1 - right clicking on the date label

    2 - choosing Group and Show Detail from the shortcut menu

    3 - choosing Group from the submenu

    4 - from the Group list, ensure your date range (starting at and ending at)
    at the top encompasses your date range for your chart, and

    5 - from the "By" list, selecting Days (note it is possible that more than
    one grouping method can be selected here, so ensure that the only "by" method
    that is clicked is Days).

    6 - click on OK.

    Your information should now be grouped on a daily basis, regardless of any
    time intervals within each date.

    Hope this helps Bemidji.

    Take care,

    Karen.

  4. #4
    Bemidji
    Guest

    Re: Time and Date stamp - Pivot Chart

    Good morning Karen:

    What you suggested absolutley works. Thank you so much.

    The date format (after I followed your instructions) now shows up as
    ex. 27-Apr, I would like it to show the date in perhaps the mm/dd/yy
    format. Is there a way I can do this? I right clicked on "Field
    Settings", and then "Number", and selected what I wanted, but it does
    not change the format.

    The version of Microsoft Excel I am using is Excel 2003. Thanks.

  5. #5
    Bemidji
    Guest

    Re: Time and Date stamp - Pivot Chart

    I tried to select a different range to create another Pivot table based
    upon data from another area of the spreadsheet, and it states the
    following:

    "The PivotTable field name is not valid. To create a PivotTable
    report, you must use data that is organized as a list with labeled
    columns. If you are changing the name of a PivotTable field, you must
    type a new name for the field."

    Huhhh????????? I am creating this PivotTable the same way I did the
    other one, and now I get this message. Help!!