adding totals... more complex than it sounds..

  1. #1

    adding totals... more complex than it sounds..

    i have a table, i have a column of cells containing the values 'k' or
    's' or 't' or 'r'
    i then have a column of cells containing a sum of money representing a
    figure 'k' has achieved on that particular row of cells etc.
    i need to add the number into a seperate cell that will have the total
    value of all of 'k' sums of money

    sorry if thats confusing, its kinda hard to explain

  2. #2
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: adding totals... more complex than it sounds..

    Use SUMIF, along the lines of:

    =SUMIF(your_range_containing_letters,"k",your_range_containing_money)

    For example, it might look like this:

    =SUMIF(A1:A100,"k",B1:B100)

    This will add up the values in B1:B100 which have a corresponding value
    of k in A1:A100.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  3. #3

    Re: adding totals... more complex than it sounds..

    you are an absolute star!!! thankyou

  4. #4

    Re: adding totals... more complex than it sounds..

    infact one more thing, im using this formula on a different workbook,
    and i have this formula:
    =sumif(Inspections!d10:80,"k",g10:g80)

    where inspections is the workbook im geting the data from, and i cant
    get the data.. have i put the wrong code in?

  5. #5
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: adding totals... more complex than it sounds..

    You seem to have missed the d in front of the first 80 and the sheet
    name in
    front of the second range. You probably need something like:

    =sumif(Inspections!d10:d80,"k",Inspections!g10:g80)

    I assume that Inspections is the name of a different work sheet in the
    same
    workbook.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  6. #6
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: adding totals... more complex than it sounds..

    Thanks for feeding back.

    Pete