Pasted date in Excel 2003 is wrong e.g. 05-16-2006 is copied,05-15-2002 is pasted

  1. #1
    Jaap van der Veen
    Guest

    Pasted date in Excel 2003 is wrong e.g. 05-16-2006 is copied,05-15-2002 is pasted

    Copying and pasting is fine when pasting to a different worksheet in the
    same workbook. Above mentioned happens when pasting to a different
    worksheet.

    By the way: when copying and pasting in Excel:2004 for Macintosh the pasted
    date are correct!

    Anyone else aware of this strange behavior? And hopefully know a solution.

    Thx,

    Jaap

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Pasted date in Excel 2003 is wrong e.g. 05-16-2006 is copied, 05-15-2002 is pasted

    Hi Jaap,

    The two workbooks have different date systems. Check Tools>Options, Calculation tab,
    1904 Date system. This system is standard on Mac.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten
    Microsoft MVP - Excel

  3. #3

    Re: Pasted date in Excel 2003 is wrong e.g. 05-16-2006 iscopied,05-15-2002 is pasted

    Just to add...

    One workbook was using a base year of 1900 and the other was using 1904.
    (tools|options|calculation tab|1904 date system)

    One way to add those four years back is to find an empty cell, put 1462 into
    that cell.

    Copy that cell.

    Select your range that contains the dates. Edit|PasteSpecial|click Add (in the
    operation box).

    You may have to reformat the cell as a date (mine turned to a 5 digit number).
    But it should work.

    You may want to do it against a copy...just in case.

    (I'm not sure which one you'll fix. You may want to edit|pastespecial|click
    subtract.)

    Most windows users use 1900 as the base date. Mac users (mostly??) use 1904 as
    the base date.

  4. #4
    Jaap van der Veen
    Guest

    Re: Pasted date in Excel 2003 is wrong e.g. 05-16-2006 is copied,05-15-2002 is pasted

    Niek,

    Thanks, solved.

    Regards,

    Jaap

    Op 11-08-2006 12:42, heeft Niek Otten het volgende geschreven: