Multiple Computers on a Network - Same Personal.xls file

  1. #1

    Multiple Computers on a Network - Same Personal.xls file

    Lets say I want a department to all have access to the same macros. Is
    there a way I can make a computer point to a specific personal.xls file
    on a network drive so that I can just update that one file and all
    users will benefit from the changes made? Also, I do not want users to
    be able to modify this personal.xls. Do I just need to flag it as
    read-only in the file system?

  2. #2

    Re: Multiple Computers on a Network - Same Personal.xls file

    One way...

    Save the file as an add (*.xla). But don't use personal.xla as the file
    name--if you do that, then you may collide with a user's own personal.xla file.
    (Excel can only have one file open with that name.)

    Save it to a network drive and mark it readonly (using windows explorer).
    Have the users do:
    tools|addins and browse to that location. I'd suggest that they use the UNC
    path (instead of the Mapped drive) to locate the addin.

    You'll have to give the users some way to access the subroutines. (Macros in
    ..xla's don't show up in the tools|macro|macros dialog.)

    For additions to the worksheet menu bar, I really like the way John Walkenbach
    does it in his menumaker workbook:

    Here's how I do it when I want a toolbar:
    http://www.contextures.com/xlToolbar02.html
    (from Debra Dalgleish's site)