create a macro to copy a worksheet into another

  1. #1
    Sean
    Guest

    create a macro to copy a worksheet into another

    I am looking for some help!

    I want to copy data from a work sheet called "House List" in a workbook
    called "PRP Rollout Schedule"
    The data is contained in B6:AX1728

    There is a possiblity that there will be filters on so these will need to be
    cleared first.
    Copy the data into a new worksheet, but it is important that the data is
    pasted at the same range as original B6:AX1728
    then the following columns will need to be deleted:
    f-i
    p-r
    y-ab
    ad-af
    ai-ak

    can anyone help as this is beond me

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: create a macro to copy a worksheet into another

    You can turn on the macro recorder (Tools>Macro>Record Macro), and
    record the steps as you manually create the new workbook.

    To turn off AutoFilters, you can add this line to your recorded code:

    'removes AutoFilter if one exists
    Worksheets("House List").AutoFilterMode = False

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Contextures

  3. #3
    Sean
    Guest

    Re: create a macro to copy a worksheet into another

    Debra,

    I have tried to record a macro so many times for this but it still keeps
    doing it wrong.
    I have tried hiding the columns in the original and copying to a new
    workbook but I get all the columns show in the new workbook.
    I have tried copying all and then deleting the columns in the new work book,
    but then I get a column I dont want and a load of missing information that i
    need.

    here is a copy of the latest macro:
    ActiveWorkbook.Save
    Selection.AutoFilter
    Cells.Select
    Selection.Copy
    Workbooks.Add
    Cells.Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Columns("P:R").Select
    Application.CutCopyMode = False
    Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft
    Columns("P:P").Select
    Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft
    Columns("R:S").Select
    Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft
    Columns("S:V").Select
    Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft
    Columns("T:V").Select
    Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft
    Columns("V:X").Select
    Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft
    Range("A1").Select
    Windows("PRP Rollout Schedule.xls").Activate
    Range("B6:AX2072").Select
    Selection.AutoFilter
    Range("A1").Select
    End Sub

    put the save in at first (just in case!) undo filters, copy to new work
    book, delete columns not needed, then go back to original and reinsert
    filters.
    Sound simple to me but won't work.

    Sean...

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: create a macro to copy a worksheet into another

    If you're deleting columns in groups, it's easier to keep track if you
    work from right to left. So, delete AI:AK, then AD:AF, etc. Or, hold the
    Ctrl key, and select all the columns, and delete them at the same time.

    The following code may do what you want:

    '=====================
    Sub CopyToNewWkbk()

    Dim wbPRP As Workbook
    Dim wbNew As Workbook
    Dim wsCopy As Worksheet
    Dim wsPaste As Worksheet

    Set wbPRP = Workbooks("PRP Rollout Schedule.xls")
    Set wsCopy = wbPRP.Worksheets("House List")
    Set wbNew = Workbooks.Add
    Set wsPaste = wbNew.Worksheets(1)

    wbPRP.Save
    With wsCopy
    .AutoFilterMode = False
    .Range("B6").CurrentRegion.Copy _
    Destination:=wsPaste.Range("B6")
    End With

    wsPaste.Range("F:I,P:R,Y:AB,AD:AF,AI:AK").Delete _
    Shift:=xlToLeft
    wbPRP.Activate
    With wsCopy
    .Activate
    .Range("B6").Select
    .Range("B6").AutoFilter
    End With
    End Sub
    '======================

  5. #5
    Sean
    Guest

    Re: create a macro to copy a worksheet into another

    That's amazing, I really should learn how to do these properly. I can manage
    in simple tasks, but this was out of my league. Many thanks much appriciated
    Sean...

  6. #6
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: create a macro to copy a worksheet into another

    You're welcome! Thanks for letting me know that it helped.

    Sean wrote:
    > That's amazing, I really should learn how to do these properly. I can manage
    > in simple tasks, but this was out of my league. Many thanks much appriciated
    > Sean...
    >
    > "Debra Dalgleish" wrote:
    >

    >>If you're deleting columns in groups, it's easier to keep track if you
    >>work from right to left. So, delete AI:AK, then AD:AF, etc. Or, hold the
    >>Ctrl key, and select all the columns, and delete them at the same time.
    >>
    >>The following code may do what you want:
    >>
    >>'=====================
    >>Sub CopyToNewWkbk()
    >>
    >>Dim wbPRP As Workbook
    >>Dim wbNew As Workbook
    >>Dim wsCopy As Worksheet
    >>Dim wsPaste As Worksheet
    >>
    >>Set wbPRP = Workbooks("PRP Rollout Schedule.xls")
    >>Set wsCopy = wbPRP.Worksheets("House List")
    >>Set wbNew = Workbooks.Add
    >>Set wsPaste = wbNew.Worksheets(1)
    >>
    >> wbPRP.Save
    >> With wsCopy
    >> .AutoFilterMode = False
    >> .Range("B6").CurrentRegion.Copy _
    >> Destination:=wsPaste.Range("B6")
    >> End With
    >>
    >> wsPaste.Range("F:I,P:R,Y:AB,AD:AF,AI:AK").Delete _
    >> Shift:=xlToLeft
    >> wbPRP.Activate
    >> With wsCopy
    >> .Activate
    >> .Range("B6").Select
    >> .Range("B6").AutoFilter
    >> End With
    >>End Sub
    >>'======================
    >>
    >>Sean wrote:
    >>
    >>>Debra,
    >>>
    >>>I have tried to record a macro so many times for this but it still keeps
    >>>doing it wrong.
    >>>I have tried hiding the columns in the original and copying to a new
    >>>workbook but I get all the columns show in the new workbook.
    >>>I have tried copying all and then deleting the columns in the new work book,
    >>>but then I get a column I dont want and a load of missing information that i
    >>>need.
    >>>
    >>>here is a copy of the latest macro:
    >>>ActiveWorkbook.Save
    >>> Selection.AutoFilter