adding information to cells uniformally

  1. #1

    adding information to cells uniformally

    Hi, I have a sheet where I have titles of some inventory and want to add 't-shirt' at the end of each inventory name. Is there a simple way to do this rather than copy and pasting for each of my inventory names. I have several thousand and am praying there is an easier way to do this.
    thanks
    Brenda

  2. #2
    Forum Expert oldchippy's Avatar
    Worcester, UK
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007 (Home)
    Posts
    7,097

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetboo22
    Hi, I have a sheet where I have titles of some inventory and want to add 't-shirt' at the end of each inventory name. Is there a simple way to do this rather than copy and pasting for each of my inventory names. I have several thousand and am praying there is an easier way to do this.
    thanks
    Brenda
    Hi sweetboo22,

    Say in cell A1 you have "White", then in cell A2 you put this formula

    =A1& " t-shirt"

    note the space after the first " in t-shirt, so that the result is

    White t-shirt

    oldchippy

  3. #3
    Hi oldchippy,
    so just to verify, when I upload this inventory to the online database, it will combine those 2 cells automatically and treat it as one?
    and thanks so much for the super fast reply, honestly you have NO idea how much this helps as I was preparing to spend a lot of time pasting.
    Cheers
    Brenda

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: adding information to cells uniformally

    You may want to copy those formula cells after and Paste Special>Values>OK>Esc.

    Just to be on the safe side when moving to the online database.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  5. #5
    Forum Expert oldchippy's Avatar
    Worcester, UK
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007 (Home)
    Posts
    7,097

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetboo22
    Hi oldchippy,
    so just to verify, when I upload this inventory to the online database, it will combine those 2 cells automatically and treat it as one?
    and thanks so much for the super fast reply, honestly you have NO idea how much this helps as I was preparing to spend a lot of time pasting.
    Cheers
    Brenda
    Hi sweetboo22,

    Just got your message this morning.

    Yes, but do as Gord suggests as well

    Glad to be of help

    oldchippy

  6. #6
    Thanks OldChippy and Gord, that worked perfectly. I was able to upload about 10,000 items yesterday with ease. Put another post up over the weekend about figuring out how to put items (child lines) under parent lines with some kind of macro. am not sure if it is possible or not.
    The thread it titled "would love help creating a macro to insert information" I think I am going to try and go back and explain it better.
    thanks again.
    Brenda