find and replace

  1. #1
    Rwostbrock
    Guest

    find and replace

    Does anyone know how to change the default settings of "find and replace"?
    My excel defaults to row and formula, I would like it to default to column
    and value. I can change it for one use, but can't get it to be the default
    for everytime I open excel.

  2. #2

    Re: find and replace

    Saved from a previous post:

    Excel tries to help by remembering the last settings you used--except for the
    first search in that session.

    You can use that to your advantage.

    You could make a dummy workbook and put it in your xlStart folder. Have a
    macro in that workbook that does a find (and sets all the stuff the way you
    like). Then closes and gets out of the way.

    Option Explicit
    Sub auto_open()

    Worksheets(1).Cells.Find What:="", After:=ActiveCell, _
    LookIn:=xlValues, _
    LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, _
    SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:=False

    ThisWorkbook.Close savechanges:=False

    End Sub

    The workbook opens, does a find (to fix your settings) and then closes to get
    out of the way. Change it to match what you need for your settings.

    But if you do an Edit|Find and change anything, then those changed settings will
    be remembered.