Basic Formula Problem

  1. #1
    Nathalie
    Guest

    Basic Formula Problem

    I use and read these boards regularly and have gleemed great info in the past
    so I hope someone can help me with this seemingly small problem that is very
    stubborn.

    I have a spreadsheet that I send to clients for them to use for their
    billing. It has 3 tabs that have certain cells linked from the main tab to
    the others and general cost information on the main tab. All data entry is
    done on the main tab.

    When I try to do a basic SUM formula for the rows above (formatted as a
    number), instead of automatically highligting (like it has done for the last
    15 years in in my experience) at least one cell above or to the left of the
    cell that will contain the formula, it gives me =sum( ) and when I select the
    cells I want to include it inserts the cells into the formula and gives me
    0.00 as the result rather than the actual number. This happens no matter
    what the formatting and even if I drag the formula from a cell that has it
    working properly.

    Thanks in advance for any information.

  2. #2
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: Basic Formula Problem

    I think the cells above may be formatted as text, even if they look
    like numbers. Try reformatting those cells to Number. If they are text
    then the format won't change straightaway - you will either have to
    edit each cell in turn (i.e. click in the formula bar as if to edit,
    then press Enter), or enter 1 in a blank cell somewhere and click
    <copy> on that cell. Then highlight the cells above your SUM formula
    and Edit | Paste Special | Values (check) and Multiply (check) then OK
    followed by <Esc>.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete