Pasting Numbers with Commas from Outside Source

  1. #1
    Lou Giele
    Guest

    Pasting Numbers with Commas from Outside Source

    I'm using non-Microsoft software, and I need to take 6 columns of
    numbers (under text header rows) from this program (Clasic/2) and paste
    them easily into Excel.

    I've been able to do it quite easily up until a week ago.

    Before:

    160,795 15,901 18,100

    Now:

    160 795 15 901

    The problem is certainly the fact that the numbers from this outside
    program have commas in them. However, I've been able to do it before,
    so I think I might have toggled something. Not quite sure. Any help
    would be much appreciated.

    Thanks!

  2. #2

    Re: Pasting Numbers with Commas from Outside Source

    What characters separate each of the fields?

    I'm guessing that when you copy from Clasic/2 (whatever that is), that the
    fields are actually separated by tabs.

    If I copy those 3 numbers from your post and paste into excel, I get all that
    string in one cell.

    And if you've ever gotten the paste to work correctly, then excel "knew" what
    the separator was.

    ====
    Excel likes to help you by remembering the settings from the last Data|Text to
    columns that you've done.

    And if you haven't done data|text to columns (or used the import wizard), then
    excel will "know" that you want to use tabs as the separator.

    But if you've done a data|text to columns and used a comma as a delimiter, then
    excel will remember this setting until you close and reopen excel--or do another
    data|text to columns to give excel something else to remember.

    So the next time you have trouble...

    Select an empty cell
    type something in that cell (asdf is fine)
    data|text to columns
    delimited
    make sure you match what Clasic/2 gives you (space or tab)
    and finish up the wizard.
    clean up that cell

    And try copying and pasting back into excel.

    If you chose the tab character and it didn't help, try it again using the space
    character as the delimiter.

  3. #3
    Mozz
    Guest

    Re: Pasting Numbers with Commas from Outside Source

    Thanks, Dave!

    Yeah, I guess I reset the settings when I worked on something else..

    That's weird stuff... thanks a lot

  4. #4

    Re: Pasting Numbers with Commas from Outside Source

    But it can be kind of helpful.

    If you paste multiple times and excel remembers how it should react, it can
    actually save time.

    (It's surprising when you see that it actually works, too!)