Getting all rows of data that have a value in a particular column

  1. #1
    Rikki-Handgards
    Guest

    Getting all rows of data that have a value in a particular column

    Hi. Is there a way to list, on a separate sheet, only rows of data with a
    value in a specific column? I want to list inventory items (and all data in
    that row) as long as there is a value in column F. If there is no value in
    column F for that inventory item, I don't want it to be the separate summary
    sheet. Is there a way to do this with a formula and not a pivot table?
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Getting all rows of data that have a value in a particular column

    >Is there a way to do this with a formula and not a pivot table?

    Yes, but whether or not it's practical depends on how many cells from the
    row you need returned and in general, how big is the table of data this data
    is being extracted from.

    For example, if your table is 50,000 rows by 150 columns and you need all
    150 columns of data extracted for each instance of "value", then a formula
    approach is not practical.

    Biff

    "Rikki-Handgards" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Rikki-Handgards
    Guest

    Re: Getting all rows of data that have a value in a particular col

    Thanks Biff. Would it still be practical if I had 250 rows of data total and
    needed to pull in 10 columns for only about 20-40 rows?

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Getting all rows of data that have a value in a particular col

    >Would it still be practical if I had 250 rows of data total and
    >needed to pull in 10 columns for only about 20-40 rows?

    That should be Ok but you'll have to see how it affects performance and then
    make that determination for yourself.

    I'm going to break for dinner but I'll put together a sample file that
    demonstrates this (unless Max beats me to it!<g>) and post a link to the
    file.

  5. #5
    pinmaster
    Guest

    RE: Getting all rows of data that have a value in a particular column

    Here's what I would do.

    I would copy my 10 columns then paste it into the other worksheet (paste as
    link) then use a filter.....filter by values greater than 0 in column F.

    HTH
    Jean-Guy

  6. #6
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Getting all rows of data that have a value in a particular col

    Here's a link to a sample file:

    http://s40.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2...U3RXRP2RI1ACPU

    There are a few different formula methods that could be used. This
    demonstrates the method I prefer. Just one formula copied to the cells. It's
    an array formula, though, and array formulas take longer to calculate.
    Depending on the size of your file and other factors, you might not notice
    any difference.

    Try deleting some data in column F then look at sheet 2 to see how it
    updates.

    If in your situation you expect that there may be 20-40 rows that meet the
    criteria, then you'd need to copy the formula to AT LEAST 40 rows. In the
    sample I copied the formula to 10 rows by 10 columns.

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Rikki-Handgards
    Guest

    Re: Getting all rows of data that have a value in a particular col

    Thank you very much Biff, the formula works exactly like I needed it to.
    However, I am having problems entering the array formula. I have the normal
    formula in a cell and then I select the rows beneath it and hit F2 and press
    Ctrl+Shift+Enter but the formulas don't copy correctly. I've tried it
    several different ways, but I always get
    =IF(ROWS('Sheet1'!$1:1)... in every row instead of
    ....('Sheet1'!$1:2),...('Sheet1'!$1:3), etc. If I copy the formula down the
    column the formulas change like they are supposed to. Then, when I select
    them all and enter it as an array formula, they all change back to
    ('Sheet1'!$1:1) again. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong? Thank you.
    -Rikki

  8. #8
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Getting all rows of data that have a value in a particular col

    Hi!

    Just enter the formula in one cell, the top left cell of the "grid", and
    enter it as an array using the key combo of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER. With the
    formula typed into that one top left cell move the cursor (mouse) to the end
    of the formula in the formula bar. Then enter it as an array.

    Then, just drag copy across the row to the right. Then drag copy down the
    columns as needed.

    Each cell formula is an array. You don't want to make the entire grid a
    single block array.

  9. #9
    Rikki-Handgards
    Guest

    Re: Getting all rows of data that have a value in a particular col

    Hello. Thanks so much, it worked! of course I appreciate your time Biff.

  10. #10
    Sunny
    Guest

    Re: Getting all rows of data that have a value in a particular col

    This is exactly what I would liek to do! However, the link no longer works.
    Would you please send it again?

    Thanks-
    sunny

  11. #11
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Getting all rows of data that have a value in a particular col

    Hi!

    How about explaining exactly what you want to do (include the DETAILS!) and
    if I can figure it out I'll post a fresh link with a sample.

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  12. #12
    Sunny
    Guest

    Re: Getting all rows of data that have a value in a particular col

    I have a list 4 x 316:
    county code sales tax
    smith 36-02 25.00 5.00
    allen 14-17 14.00 1.40
    caddo 72-36 .00 .00
    park 55 -92 97.00 9.70

    In a different part of the spread sheet I would like:

    code sales tax county
    36-02 25.00 5.00 smith
    14-17 14.00 1.40 allen
    55-92 97.00 9.70 park

    I would like this list updated 'automatically' when something is changed in
    the top part.
    The numbers in the top are looked up on another spreadsheet and populated
    upon opening of the workbook.

    Do you need anything else?

    Thanks for your help

  13. #13
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Getting all rows of data that have a value in a particular col

    Ok.....

    So you want to extract data where there is a value greater than 0 in *BOTH*
    Sales and Tax?

    Is the size of the table always the same? Always 4c x 316r ?

    What is the cell address where the table starts? For example, based on you
    sample Smith appears in cell A2. The reason I "need" to know this is because
    the formula will contain an expression based on this starting cell. A lot of
    times a poster will copy the formula from a reply and change this expression
    incorrectly and that ends up causing the formula to not work properly
    leading to a bunch of follow-up questions.

    This should be no problem.

  14. #14
    Sunny
    Guest

    Re: Getting all rows of data that have a value in a particular col

    316 is a constant number.
    It starts in A4 and can land anyplace right of W.

  15. #15
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Getting all rows of data that have a value in a particular col

    >can land anyplace right of W

    What does that mean? You want the extracted data to be placed anywhere to
    the right of column W?

  16. #16
    Sunny
    Guest

    Re: Getting all rows of data that have a value in a particular col

    yes and only the sales column needs to be checked for 0

  17. #17
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Getting all rows of data that have a value in a particular col

    Ok, no problem!

    I'll be away from the computer for a few hours so check back later.

  18. #18
    Sunny
    Guest

    Re: Getting all rows of data that have a value in a particular col

    thanks!

  19. #19
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Getting all rows of data that have a value in a particular col

    Ok, here you go:

    Sample file:

    Sample extract.xls 18.5kb

    http://cjoint.com/?ipe25QHXQb

    I took a little bit of a different approach on this one. I saw your other
    post!!!!!

    If you have 50 sheets and they average 300 rows one array formula copied to
    that many cells would really slow things down!

    So, I used just one array formula in column X and then simple Vlookups in
    columns Y and Z and then a simple Index/Match in column AA. Also, another
    reason for the different formula is that you want the extracted data in a
    slightly different sequence. I'm assuming that the "code" is unique to the
    county? That's what I based the lookup formulas on.

    So, all you should have to do is change the references to the actual end of
    range of your data. You'll have to copy the formulas down to enough rows so
    that they pick up all the related data. Typically, how many entries will
    have 0 sales? 10? 20? 200? That's how many rows you would need to copy the
    formulas to.

    Are you familar with array formulas?

    How to enter an array formula:

    http://cpearson.com/excel/array.htm

  20. #20
    Sunny
    Guest

    Re: Getting all rows of data that have a value in a particular col

    Sorry it took so long . . . insane week.
    This works exactly like I want it to on the lines I got from your example.
    I can't seem to make the copy to other lines work. Is there a trick?

  21. #21
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Getting all rows of data that have a value in a particular col

    Not sure I understand what you mean?

  22. #22
    Sunny
    Guest

    Re: Getting all rows of data that have a value in a particular col

    Normally I just drag down to other cells. When I do that with this formula,
    I get #REF in the destination cells. I even tried copy and paste. What
    other way is there to get a perfect formula into subsequent rows?

    sunny

  23. #23
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Getting all rows of data that have a value in a particular col

    Can you send me a copy of your file? I don't need the whole thing if it's a
    huge file, just the sheet where you're getting these errors. The only thing
    that I can think of that would cause #REF! errors is if you were somehow
    returning references that were outside of the range in the INDEX portion of
    the formula. If you can send me the file I'm at:

    xl can help at comcast period net

    Remove "can" and change the obvious.