create one pivot from mulitple data sources

  1. #1
    news.hp.com
    Guest

    create one pivot from mulitple data sources

    Can anyone help point me to references regarding building a single pivot
    table from multiple data sources.

    For example, If I have two different worksheets that have a common data
    field that can be used to correlate the two sets of data, can a pivot table
    be built that uses both sets of data?

    What about if one set of data is in a database and the other set of data is
    in an excel worksheet?

    I don't have control of the external database, so if I need to pull the data
    together 1st, before making a pivot, then I would have to create another
    database of my own and import both sets of data. Is that the recommended
    solution?

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: create one pivot from mulitple data sources

    You can create a Pivot Table from multiple consolidation ranges, but you
    won't get the same pivot table layout that you'd get from a single
    range. There's an example here:

    If you can combine the data in your own database, then use that as the
    source, you'll have more flexibility in creating the pivot table.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3
    Ed Ferrero
    Guest

    Re: create one pivot from mulitple data sources

    Hi,

    > Can anyone help point me to references regarding building a single pivot
    > table from multiple data sources.

    You cant. You first need to consolidate the data into one source.

    > For example, If I have two different worksheets that have a common data
    > field that can be used to correlate the two sets of data, can a pivot
    > table
    > be built that uses both sets of data?

    First consolidate the data into one worksheet. Use VLOOKUP formulas to link
    the two data sets based on the common field. See
    http://edferrero.m6.net/DataTutor1.html for information on how to do this.

    > What about if one set of data is in a database and the other set of data
    > is
    > in an excel worksheet?
    >
    > I don't have control of the external database, so if I need to pull the
    > data
    > together 1st, before making a pivot, then I would have to create another
    > database of my own and import both sets of data. Is that the
    > recommended
    > solution?

    Yes. In that case I would recommend creating an Access database and linking
    tables from the external db and from the Excel worksheet. Build a query to
    consolidate the data and use the query as the data source for the pivot
    table/

    If you are not comfortable working in Access, you can always use Excel to
    comsolidate the data. Use Excel's Database Query capability to import the
    database data, then use VLOOKUP to combine that with the other worksheet
    data.

    Ed Ferrero

  4. #4
    Dhaka,Bangladesh
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: create one pivot from mulitple data sources

    i am in now excel forum

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor
    Sri Lanka
    MS-Off Ver
    2016, 2007

    Re: create one pivot from mulitple data sources

    you can define relationship and then take two or more tables to one pivot table.