Help assigning a number to a word

  1. #1

    Help assigning a number to a word

    Greetings,
    I would like to assign a number (exm:10) to the word "Red".
    so that..
    Cell:A1 has the word "Red"
    Cell:B1 has a number..lets use 2
    Cell:C1 has the formula "=A1+B1
    I want the result to = 12 [exmRed which is 10 + 2)=12]

    My wookbook will end up with about 50 different words assinged to 50 different numbers.

    anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Forum Expert oldchippy's Avatar
    Worcester, UK
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007 (Home)
    Posts
    7,097

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by modicon2
    Greetings,
    I would like to assign a number (exm:10) to the word "Red".
    so that..
    Cell:A1 has the word "Red"
    Cell:B1 has a number..lets use 2
    Cell:C1 has the formula "=A1+B1
    I want the result to = 12 [exmRed which is 10 + 2)=12]

    My wookbook will end up with about 50 different words assinged to 50 different numbers.

    anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Hi modicon2,

    I'm not quite sure if I understand you correctly, but try this

    in A1 - exm:10
    in B1 - Red
    in C1 - 2
    in D1 =LEFT(A1,4)&C1+RIGHT(A1,2)*1&" "&B1

    Is this it?

    oldchippy

  3. #3

    Followup

    Sorry about any confusion.
    I tring to make a work sheet that can use TEXT (I want to assign a number/constant to each unique TEXT) in math formulas.

    I want to define the word/text "Red" = 10, "Green" = 11 and etc.

    so that when I use a formula like = A1 + 2
    (where Cell A1 has the word "Red" in it)
    the result would be 12.

    (Where Cell A1 has the word "Green" in it)
    the result would be 13.

    Thanks again

  4. #4
    Forum Expert oldchippy's Avatar
    Worcester, UK
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007 (Home)
    Posts
    7,097

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by modicon2
    Sorry about any confusion.
    I tring to make a work sheet that can use TEXT (I want to assign a number/constant to each unique TEXT) in math formulas.

    I want to define the word/text "Red" = 10, "Green" = 11 and etc.

    so that when I use a formula like = A1 + 2
    (where Cell A1 has the word "Red" in it)
    the result would be 12.

    (Where Cell A1 has the word "Green" in it)
    the result would be 13.

    Thanks again
    OK,

    Try this, I've assumed some colurs here, besides Red & Green, you can edit to suit.

    =IF(A1="Red",10,IF(A2="Green",11,IF(A3="Blue",12,IF(A4="Pink",13,IF(A5="Black",14,IF(A6="Purple",15,IF(A7="Orange",16,"")))))))

    This allows for seven different colours, the IF formula is limited to 7 only

    Is this any good to you?

    oldchippy

  5. #5
    paul
    Guest

    Re: Help assigning a number to a word

    ah the wonderfull V lookupwins again!
    you need to make a table somewhere with your colours listed in one column
    just say D1 down to D50.In E1 to E50 you have your assigned numbers
    in a3 you have your formula of =Vlookup(a1,D1:e50,2,false)+a2
    The only variation is your addition number is also in a cell,in this case A2
    --
    paul
    [email protected]

  6. #6
    L. Howard Kittle
    Guest

    Re: Help assigning a number to a word

    Try this.

    Insert > Name > Define > Red > Refers to > =10
    Add > Green > Refers to > = 11
    Add > Blue > Refers to > =12
    etc etc etc > OK

    In the worksheet the formulas

    =(Red+Green)/Green returns 1.2
    =Red+Green+Blue returns 42
    =Red^2+(Green-Blue) returns 108

    And so forth...

    Howard

    "modicon2" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    L. Howard Kittle
    Guest

    Re: Help assigning a number to a word

    Hmmm...

    After further review, my suggestion is not what you are looking for. Mine
    requires typing the color instead of referencing the cell with the color in
    it.

    Sorry...
    Regards,

  8. #8

    Thanks

    Thanks to everyone for their replies...
    VLOOKUP was the trick. It does actually what I want.

    Thanks again!!!