random date when i didn't ask for it! driving me CRAZY!

  1. #1
    pink
    Guest

    random date when i didn't ask for it! driving me CRAZY!

    hello people, i am in the midst of thesis writing and am having a stupidly
    stupid problem, that probably is simple to fix, but i have no idea how! never
    really used excel, not a fan to be honest, numbers are not my thing! but all
    i want to do is type 3-4 in one cell, 5-6 in the next, then 7-8 and so
    on....yet EVERY time i do it, it automatically changes to a date??! i have
    tried looking in autocorrect, nothing seems to indicate anywhere where i cant
    stop this ridiculously annoying thing. i'm going mad right now, its 4.11 am,
    my deadline is looming in a few days, and all i want to do is type 4-5 in a
    cell!!!! help pleease!!!
    thanks! :op

  2. #2
    Nikki
    Guest

    RE: random date when i didn't ask for it! driving me CRAZY!

    try this:
    go to format-->select cell-->on the number tab select text

    good luck with you thesis.

  3. #3
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: random date when i didn't ask for it! driving me CRAZY!

    You should write your thesis on how software designers, in their attempts to
    be "helpful", really drive people crazy and are no help at all. Site Excel
    as an example! We don't need no stinkin help! <g>

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    pink
    Guest

    RE: random date when i didn't ask for it! driving me CRAZY!

    Hi people,
    Biff - spot on.
    Nikki- thank you soooo much it worked! U'r a star.
    :D

  5. #5
    David
    Guest

    RE: random date when i didn't ask for it! driving me CRAZY!

    I didn't see this posted so doing it again.
    Just put a ' (under the quote key) and whatever you type will be treated
    like text.
    Good luck!