Don't want 0.00

  1. #1
    David
    Guest

    Don't want 0.00

    I have a timesheet workbook.
    Column N contains hours worked
    Columns S-V is where I enter other types of paid leave used

    I use this formula in H22 to calculate how much vacation time I used in a
    pay period and it works fine with one exception:

    =MAX(0,80-(SUM(N8:N12,N15:N19))-SUM(S8:V12,S15:V19))

    The exception occurs if I work any total of 80 hours

    Problem: with this scenario 0.00 is displayed in H22 rather than remaining
    blank (I have 'Window options' > 'Zero values' unchecked).

    How can I keep that from happening?

    --
    David

  2. #2
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: Don't want 0.00

    You could apply conditional formatting - if the cell contents are zero
    then use white for the foreground colour so that it doesn't show if you
    have a white background.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  3. #3
    How about building a custom number format with "" for the zero value?

  4. #4
    David
    Guest

    Re: Don't want 0.00

    David wrote

    > =MAX(0,80-(SUM(N8:N12,N15:N19))-SUM(S8:V12,S15:V19))

    Actually, I had to change the formula to:
    =MAX(0,40-(SUM(N7:N13))-SUM(S7:V13))+MAX(0,40-(SUM(N14:N20))-SUM(S14:V20))
    because used Annual Time is calculated in seperate weeks

    --
    David

  5. #5
    Yeah, select cell H22, go Format> Cells... click Number tab... Catagory: custom... Type:

    #.##; -#.##; ""

    Click OK.

    Give that a try.

  6. #6
    David
    Guest

    Re: Don't want 0.00

    Well, that fixed the half that displays 80.00 if the sheet hasn't had any
    hours entered yet, but still get 0.00 if 80 or more hours are worked

    I set two conditions: Cell Value Is equal to 80 and Cell Value Is equal to
    0 and set Font color (tried Pattern, too) to White.

    --
    David

    Pete_UK wrote

  7. #7
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: Don't want 0.00

    If it isn't exactly 0, then the effect won't happen - you might have
    0.00001 but if the cell is formatted as 0.00 you won't see this. Change
    the condition to "Is Less than" 0.01 and see if that works.

    Pete

  8. #8
    David
    Guest

    Re: Don't want 0.00

    Well, that got close. Effect is that it leaves a '.' (decimal point) when
    it evaluates to 0.00 hours, and if 8.00 hrs, '8.'

    Format I've been using is Number w/2 decimal places

    --
    David

    Barrett9699 wrote

  9. #9
    David
    Guest

    Re: Don't want 0.00

    Hmm... Yep, that works. I don't understand how 80.00 hrs or more worked
    doesn't result in exactly 0 hrs annual time used, though. I use
    increments of 15 minutes for time worked. No partial minutes involved.

    --
    David

    Pete_UK wrote

  10. #10
    Oops. Sorry! Try this one:

    0.00, -0.00, ""

    I tested is this time, and I think it's exactly what you want. Let me know if it's not.

  11. #11
    David
    Guest

    Re: Don't want 0.00

    I actually tried that while waiting for further responses - no joy, even
    after changing commas to semicolons

    Seems to me it would be the same as Number with 2 decimal places anyway,
    would it not?

    That said, I think I've solved this by adding INT in front of my formula:

    =INT(MAX(0,40-(SUM(N7:N13))-SUM(S7:V13))+MAX(0,40-(SUM(N14:N20))-SUM
    (S14:V20)))

    --
    David

    Barrett9699 wrote

  12. #12
    David
    Guest

    Re: Don't want 0.00

    See my reply to Barrett9699 re: adding INT to beginning of my formula.
    Still doesn't explain why it isn't an integer already, though.

    --
    David

    Pete_UK wrote

  13. #13
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: Don't want 0.00

    It may be due to rounding errors - Excel works in binary, so maybe
    fractions of an hour can't be expressed with complete accuracy, and
    these very small differences will add up over a number of calculations.

    Anyway, I'm glad you got it sorted in the end.

    Pete