How can I insert a checkbox into a cell in Excel?

  1. #1
    yogamitch
    Guest

    How can I insert a checkbox into a cell in Excel?

    I am an ambulance technician and am setting a basic spreadsheet up to
    maintain a record of every patient. Thus, I need to be able to insert a
    tick-box into specific cells in order to record the various treatments given.
    I'm probably an idiot but I can only find a control which allows a 'floating'
    box, and not one which refers to specific cells.

  2. #2
    Dave F
    Guest

    RE: How can I insert a checkbox into a cell in Excel?

    Checkboxes are objects which float on top of the spreadsheet, and therefore
    are not tied to particular cells.

    You insert a checkbox by opening the Control toolbar and drawing the box to
    suit your needs. You will see in the formula bar something like the
    following: =EMBED("Forms.CheckBox.1","")

    Dave
    --
    Brevity is the soul of wit.

  3. #3
    yogamitch
    Guest

    RE: How can I insert a checkbox into a cell in Excel?

    so is there anything I can insert into particular cells in order to select or
    deselect them?

  4. #4
    Dave F
    Guest

    RE: How can I insert a checkbox into a cell in Excel?

    Hi, upon looking into it, I figured out the following.

    if you insert a check box, and right click on it, and select format control,
    you can tell excel to tie the object to a particular cell. Click on the
    Properties tab in the format control dialogue box and select the option "move
    and size with cells." This seems to do what you're looking for.
    --
    Brevity is the soul of wit.

  5. #5
    yogamitch
    Guest

    RE: How can I insert a checkbox into a cell in Excel?

    Thanks for your efforts Dave. It solved the problem to an extent but has not
    given me quite what I'd wanted to achieve! I think i'll just take the easy
    option... Cheers!